Can I add resistance to the gas pedal on a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Can gas pedal on newer cars be adjusted to have more resistance ?

Not really. There is no adjustment and the pedal is not even connected to the engine with a mechanical cable anymore. A clever tech could probably rig up an additional spring in the pedal assembly, though.

I donā€™t think so, and I wouldnā€™t want to mess with it, what if the ā€˜add-onā€™ jammed?

thereā€™s no way I would agree to modify the accelerator pedal . . . I suspect a lot of the other professional mechanics would also refuse

3 Likes

Thank you for your response I am hoping where pedal pivots on a bolt bushing with some sort of spring can be added or changed.

I know what your saying Iā€™m going to a guy thatā€™s been machanic for 30 years hoping a spring where it pivots on a bolt or bushing can be changed.

If that is the case, I would be more inclined to change out a part rather then add anything that was not intended to be there. This has to be a concern voiced by other owners as well. It might be worth a call to a regional representative or the factory for a little tech advice. I might visit the parts department at your dealership for a diagram of the linkage involved.

I donā€™t see why not. Itā€™s probably already using a reverse tension spring to return the pedal up, just make it a bigger spring. That wonā€™t mess with the electronics, so long as you donā€™t change the ā€œReleasedā€ position.

Itā€™s drive by wire, right? May not be an easily accessed spring.

Ever hear of liability . . . ?!

If you modify the accelerator pedal and an accident occurs, I imagine that would be an attorneyā€™s dream come true :moneybag:

Hereā€™s what the accelerator pedal/position sensor looks like.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8767748&cc=3353582&jsn=397

Itā€™s an electronic component that I wouldnā€™t mess with.

Tester

Yeah. Fuggedabouditā€¦

Make sure the spring thatā€™s supposed to be there hasnā€™t fallen off. The spring on my Corollaā€™s clutch pedal fell off; either that or it was never attached to both mounting points at the factory in the first place.

Thereā€™s no external spring, looks like.

Just curious, with no spring, what makes it pop back up then, when your foot releases the gas pedal? There is a spring, but it is inside an assā€™y and canā€™t be accessed?

Ya think George?

Or doncha?

Tester