Can Anyone Drive a Buick?

lion9car,

I dislike automatics because I believe they are just wrong. When I tried to drive my mom’s car,
she kept telling me to take my foot off the brake. I was trying to go forward, but the car kept slowing down. LOL

I’ve seen those numbers VOLVO_V70,

MPG is important, but not terribly important. I want a good experience, and activity when driving shifting gears gives me the activity, plus I live in a snowy climate; esc, and 2nd gear are my friends.

A front wheel drive automatic with traction control will work just fine.

Yes VOLVO_V70,

Most of my neighbors drive Autos with FWD. I drive a manual with FWD, but one radical drives a crown vic , with RWD. I’ll stick with FWD, it has been so good to me.

I spent most of my life driving manuals, preferring them, but I drive an automatic now to compensate for medical issues.

I can relate the_same_mountainbike,

On the bright side, you’re still in life; medical issues, or not.

Thanks.
Yup, I got up alive again this morning, so I’m ahead for another day! Whatever happens after this, I got no complaints. It’s been a good run. :grin:
After two heart attacks, I’ve learned to enjoy today no matter what comes my way.

Not only do automatic transmissions have a second gear available on their shift quadrant, but some makes (Ford and Subaru come to mind, but there may be others, as well) allow you to start moving in second gear.
I can tell you from experience that a Subaru with good tires can get going in almost any conditions when it is started in second gear. Then, when you also factor-in traction control, ABS, and stability control, they are essentially unstoppable in inclement weather.

That’s the way to do it! Keep up with the positive attitude. :smiley:

There are medical reasons why an automatic is good choice. My wife broke her left foot. She couldn’t get the clutch depressed by using one one crutch. She had to use both crutches to get the clutch depressed. This is known as double crutching. When we would travel at night and she took the wheel, I was awakened by a "tappa-tappa-tappa click click followed in a few seconds by another tappa-tappa-tappa click-click. My wife was operating the dimmer switch with her crutch. Automatic transmissions and dimmer switches on the column makes driving easier for a person with a broken left foot.

3 Likes

You’re talking the “L” of PRNDL I think. I rented a Toyota with a 4-speed tranny. Drive was 2 gears, but WTH?! When I bought my Vibe, the salesman showed me Toyota’s auto, and the 2 different drive gears on a Scion, it made 0 sense to me. I have ABS, and ESC; but, I’ve been driving in snow without those modern contraptions for many years. Most of the cars were RWD, and I was okay. My current car is FWD, with ABS, and ESC, which translates as “More that can go wrong.” Why do I have TPMS when I can check tire pressure myself? My Soob had 4WD, I miss it, but it was as slow as a snail in San Francisco–too hilly for it.

You’re right. If I had an issue with mobility, I’d ditch the manual; when I was ill before, my roommate moved the car for me. But that would be the only reason; when I’m well, manuals rule.

TPMS will alert you immediately if you pick up debris and start losing pressure. Do you stop and check your tire pressure every few minutes when you’re on a long drive?

1 Like

Why do people resist things that can make their lives simpler and safer. Sure , I can check my tire pressure and I do. But the TPMS light came on one day and for some reason a tire was low.

3 Likes

+1
I check my tire pressure every couple of weeks with a hand-held dial-type tire pressure gauge, and that allows me to keep my tires inflated properly on a fairly consistent basis. However, when I suffered a tire puncture–which I would not have been aware of in any other way–my TPMS notified me very quickly of a loss of pressure. Luckily, I was only a couple of miles from a Costco Tire Center, where they repaired my tire without charge.

In any event, you might want to look-up the definition of “Luddite”.
:thinking:

3 Likes

In theory, that might be true, but NONE of the high-tech electronic systems on any of my cars has ever… gone wrong… and that includes as many as 10 years after I purchased the car.

I monitor my tires regularly, but when the college I worked at was building the new addition my TPMS system did notify me of a few low pressure incidents or so. I think about four in total. If you drive daily around a construction site you’re almost guaranteed to pick up a screw or a nail every now & again.

1 Like

Actually, some of the newer safety devices only add more complication to life. Back to the 1970s. (I wasn’t driving yet.) You had a tire, filled it with air, per the guidelines on the tire. Periodically, you checked the air pressure, and added more, if needed. The cost was $0 to do this. Currently, we have TPMS sensors on our rims, with a life expectancy of 8, or 8 years, maybe, more. We have different ways of buying tires, (ARPANET was not in full swing to consumers in the '70s.) Why can’t I just buy a tire, have it mounted, and maintain the tire? Engines were simpler too, even after the crappy emissions laws. We didn’t have to connect our cars to computers, telling us a headlight was out.

The last time I saw a TPMS light was when I hit a snow-covered curb, and popped a tire; fortunately, there no rim damage. I didn’t need a warning light to tell me there was a problem.

Maybe, I’m longing for the “old days” due to me not trusting the auto mechanics in my city, the reviews of most are horrible. I did find a decent mechanic, in a nearby suburb, he seems honest. I guess because I don’t need to visit him often. The AAA-recommended mechanic was terrible; AAA, or not, I won’t see him again.

I’m keeping my chromosomes crossed that the High-Tech on my car will be okay, until I get rid of it.

Honestly, before the Vibe, I thought of a Volvo GL, or a 300D, I looked at the engines, and the gadgets, and felt, No Way do I want either. My neighbor is a Diesel mechanic, but he recommends Hyundai. I also wonder what happens to a 300D when the temps get below 0 F, which is common where I live.

I’ll bet you will on a construction site; may, steel shield tires on those sites? :grin: