Can a 10 mph accident cause frame damage?

And it’s been getting worse lately. It’s not unusual to see some idiot doing 30-40 down the rows in the grocery parking lot.

That’s why I think OP would be well served by getting that security video. There’s no way that a slowly backing out car whose view is blocked by SUVs on either side is going to see a car going that fast in time to do anything about it.

2 Likes

“What never ceases to fascinate me is the phenomenon of people who park in “the rear space”–with nobody in front of them–and who back out of that space when they return, even if there is still nobody parked in front of them.”

Yes! Pullthrough spaces! DW just got a 2015 GMC 3/4 ton Crew Cab pickup. The back end is so high and long, and the rear-window so heavily tinted that parking lot backups are scary. We have both taken to pullthroughs only.

2 Likes

I got rear ended at 30mph, talked to a lawyer, luckily an er visit and some muscle relaxers was all I needed, not big enough for them to worry about. His advice was to wait at least 6 months before settling, in case something got bad. Were the police called? Our state they can write a report but not issue a ticket on private property, such as a store owned parking lot. That is no 10mph crunch imhop.

4 Likes

We always paid attention to our three children, and I mean real close. My wife watched the children walk two doors down the sidewalk in our neighborhood to a friend’s house. Yet, one of them wandered off at the mall. She went into the next aisle and when she didn’t see use, panicked and left the store. When we noticed her missing, we ran in both directions after her and found her. That run wasn’t easy because each of had to carry a child. Stuff happens, even when you pay very close attention. Just because it didn’t happen to you is no reason to flog anyone with your “superiority”.

3 Likes

Careful with cameras… footage can also be used against you.

Onboard vehicle cameras do not store footage.

2 Likes

Some systems do.

1 Like

No way that damage was caused by 10 MPH. more like 20 or 30. Did the other driver brake at all? If he did then he was likely going significantly faster. Was he on his cell phone? In addition to having your lawyer subpoena video footage they should see if they can get phone records, too.

While I agree that in general a car backing up has the responsibility to yield, if it can be shown that the other car was driving recklessly or at an unreasonable speed it could be argued that the driver of the car backup up was unable to foresee or prevent the accident because of the other vehicle’s excessive speed.

3 Likes

Insurance damage analysis will conclude that the impact speed was more than 10mph. If it gets ugly have your insurance company subpoena his gps, cell phone, and event data recorder. With these there will be no question about how fast he was going and if he was distracted. As someone else has said, expect that you will be held at least 50% responsible no matter what. Keep in touch with your insurance company and let the rest go.

Am I the first to point out that Corollas don’t have frames?

That said, there can be all sorts of bad damage. I once had my (also unibody) Valiant hit, and after replacing the various body panels, discovered that the steering box had sheered off and had to be welded back on (fortunately, there were lots of cheap, competent welders at the time - around 1984? - it cost $25).

There are lots of things that can go wrong, and I agree with the advice of the CarTalkers here.

You don’t find those things in any parking lot in the North East. If they were installed, then they were removed by the snow plow on the first snowfall.

2 Likes

+1
The only place where I might see them in my area is directly in front of a 7-11 store’s entrance.
They are simply not found in the middle of parking lots around here, probably because of the “snowplow factor”.

This morning I went to Costco during their “senior hour”. The outer reaches of the parking lot are almost devoid of cars–which I like. Right after I parked in a “drive-through” space, a woman pulled up a few spaces away, in a “rear” space. Apparently she finished her shopping before I did, because as I approached my car, she was backing out of her parking space.

Yup!
You guessed it.
Nobody was parked in front of her, and there are no barriers to be found in that parking lot.

1 Like

Sad to say that is not an unusual practice . I don’t understand it either . I also park way out so to keep other people from dinging my vehicle . Recently I had to go to Sams and when I came out a Ford F250 truck was so close to my driver side I had trouble getting the car. There had to be at least 15 parking places around my vehicle to use.

Yes, that is another practice that is mind-boggling.
What was it that one of the Magliozzi brothers used to say?
Wasn’t it something like…
Independent of the thought process?

There’s a reason I always carry my keys in my left hand when I’m trying to get to my drivers door around idiots like this

1 Like

And people wonder why there’s more and more violence in our daily lives.

Not sure what that does . I hit the remote buttons before I get to the vehicle . Do you not have remote entry ?

Sad to say that is not an unusual practice . I don’t understand it either . I also park way out so to keep other people from dinging my vehicle . Recently I had to go to Sams and when I came out a Ford F250 truck was so close to my driver side I had trouble getting the car. There had to be at least 15 parking places around my vehicle to use
Back when I was still working some where in south Florida I don’t remember where a driver dropped a trailer in a large parking lot with at least 30 or 40 empty parking spaces around it. They sent me to pick it up and yes you guessed it some idiot had parked right under the nose of the trailer I went into the store where they got on the PA system to ask the driver to move the car after about 30 minutes no one showed up they called the police and had the car towed.

It scratches up the side of the vehicle that encroached onto my parking spot. Yes I still use my remote to unlock.

I never claimed to be a saint. People park like idiots in the parking garage where I work, and my car has picked up numerous scratches and dings in the side from fellow coworkers. Frankly, I’ve seen people slam their doors repeatedly into the offending car, and one guy got fired when he slashed some tires. I don’t gouge my keys in, but I’ll leave a light scratch that buffs out easily. Our security does nothing about it despite numerous complaints over the years, and fortunately I’ve never had enough damage done to warrant involving insurance.

About 25 years ago, in the wake of a blizzard, I went to the supermarket. Two different areas of the parking lot had been plowed, apparently by two different contractors, and one of those contractors cleared an opening (just wide enough for a car to pass through) between the two plowed areas.

As bizarre as it might seem, some oblivous person chose to park IN that opening between the two plowed areas. This was very problematic because that opening was the only way that the cars parked in the further plowed area could get to the exit of the parking lot.

Similarly, in the front office of my old school, there was a narrow opening in the front counter so that the clerks and secretaries could come and go from their desks behind the counter. More often than not, visitors would stand in that narrow opening, instead of simply standing at the waist-high counter. Many times each day, the women in the front office would have to repeatedly ask an oblivious person to move out of that narrow opening so that others could use it to access their desks. Most of those visitors couldn’t seem to comprehend that people needed to pass through the place where they chose to stand.

Independent of the thought process…

1 Like