Can a 10 mph accident cause frame damage?

*Independent of the thought process…

That reminds me of saying a friend of mine used to use they were educated past their intelligence level.

Back in the '70s, there was a book entitled The Peter Principle (the author’s last name was Peter, I believe), and it was subtitled “Why things always go wrong”.

The essence of his theory was that people continue to be promoted from one position to another until they reach their level of absolute incompetence, and then they “plateau” in that position, unable to ascend any further. Because they remain in a position for which they lack the necessary competence, they screw things up on a regular basis.

1 Like

Tommy used to say “Unencumbered by the thought process”

2 Likes

I will have to see if I can find that book. That remind’s me of people we all have known once they get an idea in their head’s there is no anyone can change their mind.

Yes! That was it.
Thank you!

2 Likes

:+1:

Thank you. By the way I hope your part of NJ did not get hit to bad from the storm.

Check to see if the store may have some liability here. I would have thought that your insurance company would have already done that. Some insurance companies charge the store less for liability insurance if the parking lot is arranged so that you can enter and leave without having to back up.

Indeed.

Back in 1987, on Long Island, a limousine containing a wedding party was making a left hand turn, and was struck by a speeding car coming from the opposite direction. The car was traveling at a speed well above the posted speed limit. While the limo driver who was turning left should have yielded to the car, the limo driver assumed that, given the distance between the vehicles , he would have had ample time to complete the turn. The jury agreed.

1 Like

Seriously ? What do you base that thought on ?

3 Likes

I converted my factory into a warehouse when my customers all moved offshore and I still have to pay for liability insurance for anything that may happen anywhere on the property. My agent says that I am in the liability chain even for trespassers regardless of any disclaimer signs that I may post.

Jerome , not the same thing as a public parking lot for retail merchants . You might want to talk to your agent and find out just exactly what your policy covers .

Wow! That’s a hard hit. You were backing into a thru lane and had the responsibility to check and yield. The main thing is you want yours or his insurance to total your car and pay you. Can you file a claim with either drivers insurance? If you get stalling I would get a lawyer.

1 Like

No way the other car was fgoing 10 mph (and assuming you were doing even less).

1 Like

Yes, I was in education. I saw this for all 5 years I waas there. Nope, i swas just a teacher, but i saw this in many (not all) admin’s.

I have that book in my personal library if you want to borrow it. But gee I think I read it 25-30 years ago and it really was not a serious discussion of organizational dystopia. Think power clusters and see The Asch Line Experiment to instill conformity.

Back to the demolition derby at the Target parking lot.

I have that book in my personal library if you want to borrow it.

I appreciate the offer but the wife went on line and found a used one and ordered it for me.

Up here in Maine you don’t see many barriers like that because we have to plow snow. Our food co-op put these out in summer to keep parkers from getting too close to the building, but “just before” the snow flies in October they move them away with a forklift to storage.

Always do what you can to avoid backing up! I park in pull-throughs 90% of the time when available. If unavoidable, I put on hazard lights as I back out (not sure if that counts to the insurance companies, but it might get other drivers/peds to see you). Too often, when I park at the empty far reaches of parking lots, when I come back out of store I find myself in a “canyon” of RVs who need to take up two spaces in the pull-thru area (a summer, tourist problem only).

Then, I open my windows wide, and my older Prius (electronic, dash-mounted, CVT gear shifter) blares out loud “truck-reversing” beeps, but only inside the car! So I share these with the whole parking lot, and hopefully I do not get hit, nor hit someone else…
No guarantees, but I do what I can.

1 Like

Looks like a 5mph crash to me. Today’s cars…10 mph would have been a mass casualty event.

Based on what . . . ?!

:confounded:

1 Like