Can a 10 mph accident cause frame damage?

You brought up a good point . . .

Whether it gets fixed or not . . . there’s no way I’d want to hang onto the car afterwards, even if it meant losing some money by trading it

Those exposes sometimes wind up placing blame where it doesn’t belong . . .

Maybe this is why they back up, instead of driving forward

I wouldn’t want to knowingly drive over them

If I’m at all unsure, I get out of the car and look if one of those things is around

1 Like

+1
Luckily, none of the parking lots that I frequent have those barriers.

2 Likes

My answer was a statement about what some of the legal issues are. The original post asked us if this much damage could be the result of someone hitting their car while going 10 or 15. The issues otherwise are big, too. Is this a comprehensive claim, a collision claim, a liability claim? Who helps replace the car? What’s it worth. Should it be a total. Was anyone hurt. Lots of questions, and lawyers make their living working on the answers that best suit their clients. Go talk to one.

I have no problem with lawyers. It seems like a good time to get one involved is after it is clear how the insurance company plans to handle it. If the insurer has a professional staff and plans to use the video to apportion blame to the truck, paying a lawyer may be unnecessary.

My wife is uncomfortable backing out of a space, but does not have the skill or the will to back into one. She searches for a “pull through” space, so she can be nose out, without having to back in.

Not to keep harping but the thing is you get a lawyer to recover your damages. What would be the damages? Insurance, regardless of which party’s will pay, excluding deductible, so damages are likely the deductible. Assuming of course no injuries, but insurance is there to make people whole again after an accident, regardless of fault. Even good drivers are sometimes at fault.

That is known as “thinking ahead” in my book :smiley:

7 Likes

I tried to get the footage from the store (Target) and the manager said they would only release the footage to my insurance company or the police. I spoke to my property damage claims adjuster and he was asking me to get the footage when I clearly could not because they will only release it to an insurance rep. My adjuster said he put 50% at fault. However he could lower my liability % if I could get the footage for him, but like I said the store won’t release to footage to me.

This would be a collision claim and my car was declared a total loss because the cost of repairs exceeded 75% of my cars total cash value. My insurance provide me with a settlement to finish paying of the loan on my car thankfully I didn’t need to use GAP insurance because the settlement was enough to pay off the rest of my car off and I had a couple thousand left over to purchase another car. My insurance company put me 50% at fault and the other driver’s insurance company put me at 80% and I hired an attorney who informed me that the claim will go to arbitration. I went to the hospital because my face slammed against the windshield due to the force of the impact which caused cuts and contusions on my face and neck.

The way that reads sounds like you were moving with out wearing your seat belt . Or did you mean you hit the side door glass .

1 Like

Have your attorney subpoena the footage.

2 Likes

There’s always more to a story. Now we know there are injuries. Maybe not terrible, but time will tell. Was the other driver injured? Did the other driver lose the use of a vehicle for business? These kinds of events can have consequences that last a while and can cost money in ways that go far beyond the repair or replacement of vehicles. And, yes, attorneys do get paid for their work, but then so does everyone else, and there are things that happen in our lives that require some expert help. I don’t do my own dentistry, for example.

I seems like the person who started this thread has things under control.

Long time go, we had an experience camping out in the wild, next to the shore, where dad’s friend habit of “thinking ahead” like this saved our cars from the floating in the flash-flood waters.
It was a strong steady wind which pulled water ashore at night and fortunately for us our neighbors’ dog alerted the camp. By the time we woke up, we barely had time just to jump in the cars and get them out, but our neighbors who needed to back up and make a number of turns to leave the place were not so lucky. The next day we spent drying our tents and cloths, while neighbors needed to get to the nearby village for bulldozer to pull their car from the mud.

1 Like

Retain an attorney. This is no longer a do it yourself operation. You will cost yourself a lot of money if you don’t hire someone to protect your rights.

2 Likes

I was wearing a seatbelt I hit the side door glass

What if a small child came out from between two parked cards and the Tundra killed the child. It sure wasn’t the kids fault. These morons that sped through parking lots anger me.

2 Likes

No, it would be the parents fault for letting their kid run around in a dangerous place.

Have you ever had children? They can move in the blink of an eye. I think the point I was making was the moron in the Tundra could never done that much damage at 10 mph.

1 Like

And that’s why I paid attention to my children and grand-children, not facebook on my phone.

3 Likes

I used shock collars on mine.

2 Likes