Camaro proformance question

how can i make my 1991 camaro 3.1L v6 to go faster and run stronger?

Trade it in for a V8 Camero. Really, that’s the best way to do it, and probably the cheapest…

lol yeah it prob is but i like the gas milage of my v6. it runs real good now and is fast and gets around 26 mpg.

V8

At least with the straight pipes it SOUNDS pretty fast…But any V8 Mustang will blow your doors off…It will take a LOT of money to overcome THAT problem…

Nothing else to do, then. Nobody builds performance parts for these, it’s all for the V8s.

V8 is the only way to go if you want to go fast. If you want good gas mileage too, consider a slightly newer Z28 with a six speed manual transmission. There is a boatload of performance goodies available for the LT/LS motors. A conservatively driven six speed Z28 will get mid to upper 20s in the MPG department.

I agree with Caddyman that the easiest and cheapest way for more performance is to sell your Camaro and buy one with an 8 cylinder. However, the 3rd generation Camaros are not real screamers even with the V-8 option.

My youngest son had a 3rd gen Camaro (at least until a Crown Vic took it out) with a V-8 and it was definitely not a terror on the street. To show you engine size is not that much of a factor with fuel economy you state you get 26 MPG with the 3.1. His Camaro got 27-28 MPG steady as a clock with the 8 cylinder.

A comparable 91 Mustang with a 5.0 would blow a 91 Camaro into the weeds any day of the week, V-8 or not.

Trade it for the 1993+v8 Camaro(newer design). It has a significant amount more in power and only loses a few MPG.

The 3.1 v6 is a run of the mill engine and never will be fast or stronger.

No offense, but if you think a 3.1L Camaro is quick, then you’ve never been in a fast car. The quick and dirty way of increasing performance would be to drop a 350 crate engine in it and call it good.

lol yeah it prob is but i like the gas milage of my v6. it runs real good now and is fast and gets around 26 mpg.

Sorry, but higher mpg and performance are mutually exclusive. One or the other…Pick one.

LS1 with turbo and a programmable ECU. On rye.

Variable timing has made it possible to get good fuel economy and good performance from the same engine. If you replace an engine (or a car) without variable timing with one with variable timing, you might notice an increase in acceleration (power) and fuel economy.

Variable timing has made it possible to get good fuel economy and good performance from the same engine.

I agree with that…but we’re talking about an aftermarket upgrade/enhancement. I don’t consider variable timing an aftermarket upgrade. It was designed into the engine from the start.

Over the past 30+ years cars have gotten a LOT better in both performance and efficiency. Cars today have better performance, pollute less and have better gas mileage. So yes I agree it can be done…BUT as I said…it has to be designed in…not something you’re going to retrofit later.

Trick Flow (I think. If not then, somebody else) now has a kit to put variable valve timing into the LS V8s. Cam, phaser, timing cover, controller and everything runs in the neighborhood of $1500-2000, and I hear it’s totally worth it.

I sure saw the 3.1 used a lot and I did a lot of light line work on the 3.1 but it was the definition of "plain jane’. These cars had a problem with a water outlet on the intake. It was made of cast material and it could break off and there were problems with the threads for this outlet in the manifold. This water outlet issue really could get expensive.I have seen J-B weld fixes attempted because people did not want to pull the manifold. The 4.3 and 5.7 use the same quick disconnect cast metal conection.

This got me thinking. What was the engine used on the Z24 Cavalier?