Calif politico's now want all new cars be speed-governed

So, all this hand wringing because ONE legislator introduced a bill . I live in California. We drive just like everyone else, except maybe faster. The speed limit laws are written so you are only “speeding” if you are going faster than everyone else and going faster than what the sign says. Otherwise you are disregarding a posted sign, a much lower violation.
It’s so easy to just criticize a group of people - Californians, Muslims, southerners, immigrants, women, etc., etc. It’s also always wrong.

3 Likes

And this technology is probably being pushed by the big tech industry and will be subscription based, so if you don’t pay the monthly fee your car will be stuck at 50MPH maximum or won’t work at all?

They could write tickets for people who are speeding. But perhaps they have found a way that could much more money than that.

1 Like

This from a guy who owm\ns a Chrysler letter series 300? A genuine 130 mph+ car right out of the factory.

Easy. All new EV’s can be controlled by software.
Cali says all new cars will be ev.

2 Likes

So do the elderly guys in my area who buy Corvettes. They tend to drive like Grandma, and are frequently the slowest ones on the road.

Having a car with a potential for high speed doesn’t necessarily mean that the driver uses that potential.

3 Likes

Interesting. I also live in Calif, must be completely unaware of the speed laws here. I’ve never heard that before. I rcv’d a ticket for 42 in a 35 quite a few years ago, fine was over $400.

1 Like

All autonomous vehicles will all be driving the speed limit.

That’s a recipe for disaster in many places.

1 Like

They’ll have to find another revenue source

1 Like

Who are “they” and what is the revenue source under question?

Shirley you jest. Have you never received a speeding citation. Who issued it and who cashed the check?

Maybe you are like my 80 year old neighbor when I was a kid. Came over for my mom to console him because he was downtown and got a 50 cent parking ticket. Had never had one in his life and considered himself a criminal.

I wasn’t talking about revenue. I was talking about a car plodding along at 35mph when traffic is moving at 50.

No. Shirley YOU jest. This post is about having governors on cars. It’s not about a ticketing system. If there is a speed limiting system on cars, then there is an automated system in place such that there are no speeding citations to be given. The cars are not capable of reaching citation speed.

Now…if the thread was about CA setting up an automated ticketing system then that would make sense. (My wife got hit with one in Maryland - basically uncontestable). But it’s not about that.

You’re just knee-jerking from anti-government ideology devoid of reason.

I did once get a $5 parking citation in college that was bogus. It was something like a 1hr spot and I was there about 30 mins. The cost just to appear in court to oppose it win or lose? $10. That’s a revenue stream. This CA law is not about a revenue stream. And saying that doesn’t mean that I defend it. It just means I’m not childish enough to think that every time a law is made that it’s a revenue stream.

3 Likes

Oh gee, give it a rest. The idea of a governor that would restrict speeding would mean that no more speeding citations would be given, thus no more fines collected, thus reducing revenue.

2 Likes

No, @bing, you give it a rest.

2 Likes

Only during the transition period. When ALL vehicles are autonomous traffic will run much smoother and faster.

4 Likes

The politico who is proposing this system wants to set the automatic limit at 10 mph above the posted limit. He says drivers will continue to be issued speeding citations under the same criteria as now, presumably meaning you’d still be subject to ticket between 5 & 10 mph over.

By the news report here, this idea seem to be going over like a lead balloon. Most drivers here say they prefer other drivers limit themselves to reasonable and safe speeds, but would like to see this accomplished w/ better enforcement of the existing speed-limit laws. There is however a good deal of antipathy to the out of control fine amounts.

1 Like

FWIW, it goes over like a lead balloon with me too. I hate the idea (and also hate the idea of “autonomous” vehicles). Having the state and corporate nexus controlling my driving is AYFKM.

That said, I’d guess that the 10mph over limit is set at what is often the de facto speed limit. Especially on limited access roads, cops don’t bother inside of the 10MPH window. Even the Maryland automated ticketing system that nailed my wife was set like that. She hit the magic 11mph over and that triggered the ticket. It was set that way. 10mph or less and the cameras would log no ticket. 11mph and over and they would. I’d imagine all of this is to avoid trickiness in court. Speedo off? (And thus a faulty speedo ticket instead). Questions about speed detection (whether by pacing or automated stuff)? Over 10mph is so implausible that it becomes more indefensible on grounds other than actual speeding.

But back to the point, @bing implied that this system is about revenue stream generation. Well, clearly not. If it is put in place, even if citations are still issued, there would be fewer and many of those less severe (i.e. lower fines). In VA anything over 80 is “reckless driving.” Speed limits on interstates are 70. So a 10-over governor makes all “reckless” tickets on the >80 basis technologically impossible. Revenue would be lost.

If this was a system designed to give automated tickets, now that’s a politico revenue stream generator (as Maryland does).

In addition, at the level of STATE government, traffic fines are a completely insignificant portion of revenues. That’s different at lower levels - some counties, cities, towns, etc. do get meaningful portions of revenue from traffic fines.

In short, laws like this are IMHO very bad ones and I’m not in favor of them. But they’re NOT about finding revenue sources - except maybe for the tech companies that implement to softwares or whatever that do the governing of speed.

2 Likes

There is too much tech in cars already and I think speed limited cars will be a nightmare. Years ago Tom said the national speed limit should be 35 mph and I agree… well maybe 55 mph. I thought the 55 mph limit worked well when it was in place and I wouldn’t mind if it was implemented again. Slow down and smell the roses, or exhaust fumes.

4 Likes

That guy never thought this through (what’s new about politicians!) Here’s a scenario why this law will never be enacted:

You’re on a 2 lane road coming up on a tractor trailer (semi). You’re in a passing zone and look ahead. No oncoming traffic. You start your pass and the truck starts speeding up, either on purpose or maybe going downhill? You know how those trucks are with hills. At any rate you try to speed up to complete the pass and a oncoming car shows up ahead. Now your speed governor kicks in and won’t let you accelerate anymore.

I hope you guys can see the problem here.

5 Likes