Cadillac Transmission "Code"?

I’m new here, but need some advice…

My elderly friend’s 2000 Cadillac has only 53K miles on it. Car seems to be perfect in every way. While traveling up the road, the “Check Transmission” light came on. The dealer says, according to the “code” he received while checking things ($85 charge for “checking”), it won’t shift into 4th gear. He says the entire transmission needs replacing to the tune of approx. $4,400. Is this realistic? Should GM do something here? Is it possible this is simply a switch or something? Any idea what “codes” could result from the test? Are the “codes” trustworthy?

Friend just inherited the car and sold her perfectly good Ford. She is now faced with an impossible repair bill. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Get a second opinion. Take it to a shop that specializes in transmission repair.

Hopefully TRANSMAN monitors the board and can give you some advice.

As far as GM doing something… the car is way out of warranty, they have no obligation to do anything.

Willey

Get a second opinion from someone OTHER THAN the Cadillac dealer. The codes are diagnostic tools. Without further inspection there is no reason to tell someone they need a new transmission, other than as a money-maker.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee. 

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic.  

Did they tell you or write down what the code(s) were?  In not, give them a call and try to find out.  It may be on some of the paper work they gave you.  For what they charged you they should at least give you the actual code.  That is the code number not what that number man mean.

A few years ago my seville needed a transmission rebuild and the dealer want $4k plus to do it. I went to a independent shop on four mile run road in Arlington in the Shirlington Area. Can’t remember the name but it was ran by a Japanese guy. He did a total rebuild of my transmission for $1,300 and they did a outstanding job.