Cabin noise after replacing side-view mirror

I would like to start by saying that I do not care about aesthetics AT ALL for this.

A few years ago I replaced my 2000 Camry’s side mirror myself with a $25 replacement part from amazon. Ever since then, I’ve had increased cabin noise on that side when I’m going at highway speeds (which I don’t do often, so I forget about this until I’m on a long road trip…at which point it is super annoying but I also can’t do anything about it)

I’m assuming it’s some kind air leakage because the new side mirror isn’t sealed or seated perfectly or something, and that presumably I could use some kind of sealant around the edges to fix this.

1. does this seem likely to be correct?
  2. if yes, what kind of product should I use to seal it? Again, I do not care about what this thing looks like, I just want to stop/reduce the noise.

Make a guess which interface/edge/etc is causing the problem, then apply some painter’s tape over it and go for a test drive. If the tape helps, that’s one place to focus your attn, make sure it is sealed and smooth there. You may have to do this several times to find all the noise sources.

1 Like

There’s probably an air leak around the replacement mirror,

You might try removing the mirror and installing some sort of gasket below the mirror to see if that seals it.

Tester

2 Likes

It is likely the mirror is disturbing the airflow in ways the factory mirror did not. You could bend up deflectors that fit between the mirror and window frame. Would take a lot of experimentation, especially for a novice, to make any improvement at all.

It could be air leaks from a bent window frame or knackered door seals on a 24 year old car. Tape might prove or disprove this

If you really care about this, how about trying to find a factory mirror from a 2000 Camry in a Pick ur Part type of junkyard.

Or turn the radio up when you highway drive. I suggest Bachmann Turner Overdrive…

1 Like

Then I am with the tape it up club, duct tape works great and is proven every Nascar race up to and including 200 MPH… lol

Another band that if you turn it up to drown out the noise is Slipknot… :grin:

But if you ever decide to do it right, buy a quality replacement mirror for more than $25.00 from Amazon… btw, duct tape works really well cause it don’t want to come back off…

Might try removing the inner mirror cover and run water (from a hose) over and around the mirror to see if water is coming in, if water is coming in, so is air…

There’s the problem. I’d just use clear silicone sealer around the base of the mirror.

1 Like

The foam seal between the mirror and door is probably missing. When the cheapest parts are used, the foam pad from the old mirror must be reused.

4 Likes

This an OEM mirror or aftermarket. Some aftermarket mirrors - the airflow isn’t perfect and causes noise. I’ve seen it on a mirror I replaced on my 4runner.

I’ve encountered this on many aftermarket mirrors over the years

You get used to it

$25 from Amazon? It isn’t OEM !

2 Likes

I’m all for the Slipknot. :metal: (Not so much the BTO)

1 Like