Cabin Air Filter

During my annual NY State Inspection, Goodyear informed me that my Cabin Air Filter on my Honda CR-V needed replacing. The estimate for the part and installation (and tax) was $80. I am not a “car gal,” but I can follow clear instructions. Is this a part I can purchase and replace on my own? I don’t even know where one accesses it. If it is too complicated, does this estimate seem reasonable? Should I also be wary because Goodyear ALWAYS finds some additional work they think needs to be done? Granted, it’s usually new wiper blades or some other relatively inexpensive thing.

Cabin air filter should be replaced as indicated in the owner’s manual. My Toyota is 2.5 years old and I have replaced the filte once, the dealer cost is $54 and the Auto store cost is $28 or so. You can do this yourself or have someone help you do it. $80 is exhorbitant in my opinion.

Forget about Goodyear, you can change the cabin filter yourself.

All you need is a new cabin filter made for your vehicle and the location of it in the vehicle.

Most of these are accessible via the glove box. Some are behind and some can be accessed from within the box.

There are also others that require lowering the glove compartment door (depending on how they are constructed).

You didn’t say what year your CR-V is, but if not too old, you should be able to acquire (or already own) the owners manual.

Like Docnick said, it shows the location and how to replace the filter.

Please read owner’s manual, the info may be in there, plus you’ll get a good review of what is in there for future reference.

Not only can YOU do it yourself… it’s a ‘no tools’ operation ! :slight_smile:
'01 CRV has a single filter, '02 & newer have two filters side by side.
Purchase new filter(s) at any parts store such as Auto Zone, O’Reilly’s, Car Quest etc.
Open glove box and empty contents.
Push in stop tabs on both sides to allow box to swing down. You can see a little access plate back there.
Plate comes off by springing the little thumb tab(s) and pulling off.
Slide out old filter(s).
Slide in new filter(s).
Replace cover plate.
Put back glove box and contents.
Breathe easy :slight_smile:

Oh, the tough (dark) side of the filter goes toward the passenger compartment. It’s made that way to prevent the filter fibers from blowing off, not that many will, but you have to make things that way so if it never, ever gets changed, trouble won’t develop. I would say the dark side goes to the left. I have to tell those Goodyear guys not to look at my engine air filter. The box is only plastic and I don’t need them unscrewing four screws every time I get an oil change.

In addition to the excellent instructions here, the should be instructions in the box when you but the filter. It’s so easy that even I can do it. You can, too.

Should I also be wary because Goodyear ALWAYS finds some additional work they think needs to be done?

Yes, and it appears you already know that.

Many things like Air Cleaner are easier to replace than to drive down to the shop and have them do it. You also save money. When I buy filters and oil, I buy enough for several changes to save the trouble of having it done or driving to the store for the materials each time.

Don’t tell me they told you it was an inspection item…it is not.

Thank you all SO VERY MUCH!! I got the part at Napa ($19 versus the $50 part charge on the estimate), and you were all very right, no tools (just a little stickiness to getting the glove box tabs to release). Perfect instructions, Ken. All done, 2 filters side by side. At least Goodyear DID get the part about them needing to be replaced correct–the Napa guys who had come out to the parking lot to help and chat were quite impressed at the collection of dirt and old dried foliage in/ on the old filters. All done. $60 saved. And two auto parts store workers entertained.
Oh, and lenjack, Goodyear didn’t say it was an inspection item. But they may have had to search further afield because I’d headed off their usual “torn wipers need to be replaced” which are an inspection item by saying when I dropped the car off: “And by the way, I’ve checked the wiper blades and they are perfect with not a tear or worn spot on them, so this will not be an item I need to replace.” Not that I’m suggesting that they would have torn the blades themselves or anything… just making sure. :slight_smile:
Again, thank you all for all your great help!!

I have read post on other sites where individuals have made up to four replacement cabin air filters from one quality furnace filter. I have done this twice for an '04 Toyota, brings the price way down. A web site, repairpal.com , allows you to get ranges of costs for a large variety of common car repairs based on brand, models, and is somewhat specific to the zip code information you provide. This site could help get over that feeling of being taken advantage of at the onset.