Cabin air filter and power steering fluid?

My Honda Pilot is in for its 60K service, which costs $660! The dealer just called and said they recommend a new cabin air filter ($129) and replacing the steering fluid (which they did at 30K). These are not on Honda’s maintenance schedule, and I don’t trust the new management at my dealership. I told them not to replace these things and that I would do some research. Should I trust them? Do I need to find someone else to take a look, or should I just forget about it? Should I look for a new dealer?

You can probably buy a cabin air filter at your local auto parts store and install it yourself.

I see no reason to replace PS fluid every 30K miles. It’s a profit generator. If it needed to be done the maintenance schedule in the owner’s manual would tell you how often to do it.

My Honda has over 100K miles and my Subaru over 135K, and neither has ever had its PS fluid replaced.

The cabin air filter should in fact be replaced every 30k. At least that’s the interval in the owners manual for my girlfriend’s 2006 Pilot. So in that regard they’re correct. However, the price seems high to me.

The power steering fluid usually is not specified to be changed. I personally change it every 60k anyways to keep it fresh but since yours was done at 30k I would wait at least until 90k. I do this simply because power steering fluid breaks down like any other fluid and debris from seals deteriorating can become suspended in the fluid and cause accelerated wear of other seals in the system.

I don’t have a Pilot (do have an '03 Civic) but I suspect the cabin air filter access is behind the glove box. Check your owner’s manual, mine had instructions on changing the filter. In my Civic there are two plastic “hooks” one on each side of the glove box that when removed allow the glove box to pivot outward and hang down. You need to remove all the contents of the glovebox or it all falls out. There behind the glove box is a black plastic box into which the cabin air filter slides out and you put the new on in. The filters (2 per box for my Civic) is about $20 at NAPA or any auto parts store. If yours is the same set up, good possibility but not sure, then $129 is a major rip off.

You were correct in rejecting this service. The cabin air filter isn’t critical to the car’s function. The replacement interval should be in the owner’s manual in the maintenance section, it is either every 30K or 60K. Since the power steering fluid was done at 30K you don’t need this either.

They are trying to get money off of youl…
To change a cabin air filter should take 20min for someone with no skill, and $20 for the part at any store…
PS fluid every 30k is pretty excessive… I’ve driven junkers to 100+k and never had fluid dirty enoguh to need changing.

You can buy some Honda power steering fluid and a $2.00 turkey baster and freshen up your power steering fluid pretty cheaply if you want. I’ve done this in my Odyssey.

I’v purchased cabin filters for about $15 and changed it myself.

Save money and stay away from the dealer.

every 30k on the cabin air filter unless driven in urban high soot areas then its every 15k. as far as ps flush, I’d say pass. too soon

I would get the cabin filter replaced. In fact I just changed mine yesterday. How important they are depends on where you drive and how dusty the conditions are.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

BTW I would suggest replacing the transmission fluid and cleaning the filter if that has not been done yet.

Honda Pilot cabin air filter $23
http://www.pronto.com/user/search.do?displayQuery=air%20filter%20honda%20pilot&SEM=true&query=air%20filter%20honda%20pilot&adid=1245177350-8087030-0_ys&ref={keyword}&creativeid={creative}&site={placement}&OVRAW=cabin%20air%20filters%20honda%20pilot&OVKEY=air%20filter%20honda%20pilot&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=41538811512&OVKWID=280274774012&OVCAMPGID=7109373012&OVADGRPID=12965132900&OVNDID=ND1&loadingComplete=true

Replacement free

Avoid these bozos.