Cabin Air Filters and Power Steering Fluid

last time i took my car into the shop for an oil change they recommended I change out my cabin filters and Power Steering fluid (which they said was dirty). I said no to the cabin filter and ok to the power steering fluid (i mean, who want’s dirty fluid, right?)

Did i get grifted by the Dealership?

You have not stated the age of the car or the mileage. Power steering fluid used to not ever get changed out, just topped up.

Now with anti-lock brakes, I would recommend it be changed every 40,000 miles or with every brake job. Your owner’s manual may or may not call for that.

The cabin air filter change depends on your driving environment. Toyota calls for a change out at regular intervals.

Right, it’s a 2008 Subaru WRX with 57k miles.

Where I live, many WRXs are used for rallying on back roads. If yours has done any of that, you need a new cabin air filter and at that mileage you were wise to change the power steering fluid as well.

Nothing really sinister or greedy here. My Toyota had 25,000 m iles on it and the cabin filter has been changed already. My steering fluid won’t be changed until I reach the first brake job or 50,000 miles.

I just changed the cabin air filters on my Honda Civic. After 57K miles yours are likely pretty crudey. On the '03 Civic it is pretty easy. Perhaps it is a DIY job. The filters for my car weren’t cheap, $27.00 from Advanced Auto.

If it’s the same as the 2002, it should be easy.

http://subaruparts.com/install/2002iairfilt.pdf

You change the cabin air filter for the same reason that you change the filter on a forced air furnace. On most cars, as with most furnaces, it is a do-it-yourself job. You can get the cabin air filter for most vehicles at an auto parts store.

I would change the cabin filter and find a local independent mechanic. Not that your dealer has done anything bad, but chances are you could have had the same work done for less by an independent and all you would have loss was the fancy coffee and TV in the waiting room.