Power steering fluid

My owners manual says to replace the power steering fluid every 3 years regardless of the milage. It was replaced in May 2009 but the Honda dealer says it’s contaminated and should be replaced. I’m not due till May 2012. It’s driven under normal conditions and driven easy. What to do? Owners manual or dealer report?

Change it yourself with a turkey baster. with the engine not running use the turkey baster to remove all the fluid you can from reservoir. Fill it back up using Honda approved fluid. Start engine and run the power steering lock to lock a few times. Repeat this a couple times and you have flushed your power steering. Follow your owners manual.

Did the dealer show you the fluid and describe what they meant?

The first thing you should do is find a good, local, independent shop instead of taking the car to the dealer shop.

If you’re worried about the power steering fluid, buy a bottle of the Honda power steering fluid and a cheap turkey baster. Using the turkey baster suck all of the fluid you can out of the power steering reservoir. Replace with fresh. Do that a couple of times with a little driving in between and you’ve basically replaced the fluid.

Did the dealer show you the fluid and describe what they meant?

This is just a way for the dealer to make more money. Suck it out with the $2 turkey baster. Replace with Honda/Acura compatible fluid (not generic regular power steering fluid.)

98% of cars have dark looking PS fluid, this doesn’t mean that it’s contaminated.

Thanks. That’s a lot cheaper than the $232.00 the dealer wanted.

Thanks. The dealer wanted $232.00 to change it. Your way is much better.

That’s a lot cheaper than the $232.00 the dealer wanted.

That sounds like the dealer just replaces the PS unit.

Sounds good to me. Much better than the $232 the dealer wanted.

Thanks Pete