Buying Your Dream Car

If price, practicality, maintenance were all no issue, I’d love a Ferrari 488 Spider. I wouldn’t say no to a beautiful classic like an 1930s Avions Voisin or a 1920s Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost. :slight_smile:

What? Mine’s a Trabant. Honest! But if I can’t afford that I guess I’ll settle for a Yugo.

:wink:

2 Likes

Trabbis are cult cars now, @shadowfax And since they are over 25 years old, they can be easily imported and driven on US roads without emissions and safety modifications.

Live the dream my good man, live the dream… :grin:

1 Like

The change in the law that allows that was recent. It’ll be interesting to see if vehicles like Trebbies get imported in any numbers.
I like unique little vehicles like this. A Trebbie might be a fun toy. An Isetta would be really cool.

Yes it would! When I managed a Body Shop years ago, my painter had one that was a “hobby shop” project and it lived in the shop. he was restoring it to “like new.” Whenever Kelly (or anybody) would talk about his Isetta, 2 or 3 guys would say, “You said’a what?” :slight_smile:
CSA

An Air Force buddy had an Isetta back in the very early ‘70s. I got to drive it a few times. It was an absolute blast.
Back in those days gas station attendants used to fill drivers’ tanks, and when we drove up to the pump the poor attendant was befuddled. He didn’t know where to begin looking for the tank.

Trabants are now indeed considered classics

Original examples are regularly featured in european classic car magazines

Clean, original, and/or restored to stock condition Trabants can no longer be had for chump change

Clearly, they are not on the same level as a classic Porsche 911, but a good, clean Trabant is not a $1500 car, either

There are lots of cars that are now considered classics, but which I would not “dream” of owning. I’d take a Trabbie if one came along, but there are a lot of cars I’d be more interested in having in my stable.

Y’know, like an Auburn 851 Speedster. :wink:

Auburn 851 Speedster. Now you’re talking. 100mph in mid 1930s! Guaranteed with actual tested speed engraved on a silver dash plaque.

1 Like

Street Rodder magazine’s new issue has an article on a 1940 Oldsmobile that’s as drop-dead perfect as any resto-rod I’ve ever seen. The exterior is gorgeous, and the interior is absolutely stunning. It would truly make a Rolls Royce proud. If it’s half as comfortable as it looks, that one’s definitely on my dream sheet.

Is this it?

That’s lowered WAY too much, for my taste

The rims and tires also don’t look like they belong

At least they didn’t lower the roofline . . . there’s a term for that, but it escapes me, at the moment

Other people may be drooling over the looks, but I have mixed feelings about them

1 Like

I suspect the pictured car has air ride suspension and will have decent ground clearance after the pumps work. I am glad they did not chop the top.

@db4690 If I remember right it is called chopped.

1 Like

The kids call this “slammed”. I don’t like it either.

I absolutely agree. I see this too often, and it just doesn’t work IMHO.

The term is “chopped”. I don’t mind a 1" or 2" chop max, but way too many customizers overdo it.

At least it isn’t “shaved”, a term describing the removal of door handles, mirrors, trunk handles, brightwork, etc… Some customizers “shave” everything and smooth everything over.

2 Likes

Sometimes a properly chopped and lowered hot rod can be pretty wonderful though:

2 Likes

Once again, beauty is subjective

Gee @anon86613489 I owned a 1960 Morris Minor 1000 for a few months in 1966. It would be fun to have one again. They are really cheap in England or Canada if you can get one here. It would take up less room than a 57 Ford.

I’m gonna watch Thunder Road again one of these nights. I love those cars.

@bing Have you noticed anytning wrong with that movie? If you listen close to the words it states on the 1st 1st of april 1954 they said don’t make your run no more.How did they end uo driving 57 fords?

Ugh! Someone went nuts with the louver machine!!!