Buying Your Dream Car

[quote=“Bing, post:20, topic:100182, full:true”]
Black and yellow 57 Ford but I’m not crazy enough to buy one

I would if I could find a 2 door hard top or convertible or a 64 T bird.

Actually AH Sprites and MG Midgets were designed to accommodate drivers up to 6’4" tall. Long legs can be a problem. I am a bit less than 5’10". At my age getting in and out would be the problem as I would have to fall in and climb out. Of course once in and adjusted they are so much fun they should be illegal.

1 Like

My dream car would be a 1965 Shelby GT 350 Mustang. I should have bought the nice one in 1971 for $2,000. That car in the same condition would now sell at auction for about $250,000 or more! I did purchase a 1963 Ford Galaxie 2dr hard top 406 cu in 405hp tri power that same year for $500. It had the same Borg Warner Super T-10 aluminum case 4 speed with factory Hurst shifter. What a perfect M/T.

About 15 years ago, a well-established family owned used car agency that has been run by the family and descendants since the late 1920s advertised a 1963 MG Midget for $700. It needed a clutch and quite a bit of rust repair. Curiosity got the best of me and I went to look at the car. I had purchased a car from the agency and the dealer knew me. When I went to look at the car, the sales men were tied up, so the business manager handed me the keys and said to me “If you can get into that car, we might just give it to you”. I got into the MG and started the engine. She then came out to the car and said “You had better be able to get out of the car or you will have to buy it”.

1 Like

!953-4 Studebaker sport Coupe with the dash from a 55 Speedster and an Avanti R3 engine.

1 Like

1970 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. Blue, vinyl top, leather interior. Looks just like this one.

Actually I already had it for about 7 years and then sold it.

71 72 Sedan DeVille with set it and forget it heating. The six way power seats were perfect for long trips. You could change the settings every 50 miles and not get worn out. The gasoline price that came with it was the best thing at 10 MPG. The cruise control was simple and effective. Mine was the same color as the 70 pictured.

Where I live, probably a red Ford Lobo, dual cabin, automatic transmission, and four wheel drive if they make them that way. I am not discontent with my newer Sienna, but in the boonies a pickup is always much better, IMO.

That seems cheap next to the routine maintenance costs. If it’s anything like the Veyron was (and it will be), keeping them on the road will be crazy. You’re supposed to change the Veyron’s tires every 2,500 miles. It costs $30,000 for a set of tires. And every 4th tire change, you need new wheels, bringing the total to $120,000 because the tires are glued to the wheels and the wheels’ ability to hold the glue degrades with each tire change.

So, about the mileage I’m thinking it’s time for a $30 oil change, the Veyron owner is already in it for $90,000. And 2500 miles later, he gets to spend $120,000 changing the wheels and tires, oh, and another $20,000 to change the oil.

This is why my dream car is an airplane. It’s way more affordable! :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve seen a few Ford Lobos in my area. They tend to be regular cab, long bed

Is that the Mexican spec version of the Ford F-150, or is it in fact a trim line?

They sure look like your average F-150

1 Like

67 slanted headlight air cooled VW Beetle, rust free, & already converted to 12 volt & alternator.

1 Like

I don’t know much about the Lobos, except the father of a young lady who has called me grandpa since she was 2, has one. It is bright red; it is dual cabin, MT of course, and has a very large motor.

This is a quarry town. The hills are full of travertino marble. They excavate gigantic rocks, up to ten tons each, and put them, usually two, on a large truck for carrying to the factories, to make things like fancy floor tiles for rich American women. Sometimes if the rock is rejected, the driver will dump it beside the road.

Several years ago, three young men were in a Lobo, driving a short distance south of here. The driver lost control and ran into one of those 10 ton rocks, with expected results. It was reported that the speedometer was frozen at 160 kph (100 mph). I have always wondered if it is true the old mechanical speedometers would freeze in a wreck, but have no desire to find out personally.

In any case, the Mexican Lobo is fast enough to be a deadly weapon when the driver is drunk.

I realized after posting, I did not completely answer db;s question. Yes, the Lobo is a jazzed up F-150. I guess that is what you meant by trim line.

1 Like

@shadowfax, yes I know the upkeep on a Chiron is mind-numbing expensive.

I’m frugal as can be in all phases of life but if I had Lotto type money I’s sure consider buying one and hang the expense and insurance costs.

There’s something about the sheer volume of technology and weirdness that gets my adrenaline going. I’d probably order it in Hot Pink and hang some pink dice from the rear view just to put another twist into it.

1 Like

In all honesty, I’d probably save more building my dream car from one of those pre-fab shells than buying an original copy.
A real 1967 GT-500 goes for upwards of 200 grand, I think I can do better than that buying one of those pre-fab body shells from Year One and building from there- with modern touches because I wouldn’t have to worry about keeping one numbers matching or anything.

Mercedes G-Wagon

Mercedes Benz Unimog :fearful:
CSA

My dream cars:
Morris Minor Pick-up -68
Morris Minor Panel-van -69
Morris Minor 4-door saloon -53
Audi 100 Coupè S -71

I must be a lucky guy, that’s also those cars I own.
Though, one of these would look beep nice at the end of the line-up. I may be able to get in, but it would take a rescue-team to get me out again.

https://www.autogespot.com/de-tomaso-pantera/2016/06/23__

My dream car is the all new Tata Nano - a hatchback vehicle
I have always dreamt of a small compact that will run smooth on roads with me and my fiancé. The price offered is just perfect and affordable for me. This car just fits to everything I dream about. The all new tangy orange color is the one I wish to own. It’s a perfect city car with stylish exteriors and interiors which makes it more beautiful.

Dream car is a Tata Nano ? This either a plug for Tata or someone does not what Dream car means.
Why reply to Mustangman, I can’t see him being interested in a Nano.

3 Likes