Buying Tires for VW Passat

Quote: Mom’s BF said to move the front tires to the rear & get new tires for the front.

Unfortunately, he is wrong. All tire manufacturers
and all reputable tire dealers insist that the better tires go on the rear. This may seem counterintuitive, but I would suggest that you follow this advice for your safety.

It depends on the Jiffy Lube. Many are franchises and the quality of work depends on that franchisee. There is a Jiffy Lube near me where I have oil changed in our three cars. I don’t get anything fancy, just the oil change. They tell me I need filters, and I thank them for the information. I then change the filters (ecept the oil filter) myself. I will consider refreshing the coolant when they say to and also change the transmission fluid. But I’ll likely do it on the manufacturer’s schedule. They don’t seem to mind at all, since I keep going back. I had problems at other Jiffy Lubes, but not this one.

Your mom’s BF is not very versed on tires ignore his advice.

You always put new tires on the rear(non driving wheels) of a FWD car. More traction on the front axle you put you into a spin much easier. Any competent tire shop will sway you from placing new tires on the front of a FWD when replacing just a pair

Mom’s BF said to move the front tires to the
rear & get new tires for the front.

As has been stated in this cartalk discussion group on numerous occasions, you definitely want the new tires on the rear - not the front.

Joe Mario

quote:

You always put new tires on the rear (non driving wheels) of a FWD car.
New tires go on the rear of FWD, RWD, and AWD. Reduces oversteer. Probably more important on RWD than FWD, because RWD is more prone to oversteer due to less weight on the front tires.

By the way, you should always put the new tires on the rear wheels, not the front. If you need to do any evasive manuevers, the car will handle better with the new tires on the rear.

I’m sure not all quick lubes are bad but a lot of them are. I had a bad experience at one years ago. Drove out of the place after the oil change and while making a turn down the street, my truck spun out a full 360 in the rain. Turns out they had filled my tires up to almost 60 lbs., they’re supposed to be 35 lbs. max. I was lucky I didn’t hit anything. I don’t trust them to put in the correct fluid weights either. Do it myself ever since, no worries. Costs 15 bucks for fluid and filter and takes me about 20 minutes to do.

You shouldn’t go to a quick-lube place if you can help it. The people who work there generally perform ONLY oil changes. That is ok, but it’s much better to have a better-trained car mechanic do the oil change. He has a good eye for finding real problems with the car.

Also, The quick lubes around me run $30, while all the independent mechanics run $20-25.

So you get the same quality oil and filter, with a more skilled professional performing the work, for cheaper. And, most shops are open Saturday mornings, if you can’t do M-F hours.