Buying new tires, need guidance

I’m missing your point here. How are Turbos going to end ICE vehicles?

2 Likes

I don’t read random reviews, or even user reviews for tires. I use real tire tests, like those done by Tire Rack or Consumer Reports. How can a consumer know how well tires perform unless they have similar tires to compare them to? Comparisons to the last set are invalid since the wear on the old tires was significant enough that noise, handling, and wet/dry traction have been compromised. Often random reviews are just product placements.

1 Like

Over the years I’ve been satisfied that the tire options at Costco come pretty close to the recommendations of consumer reports and tire rack.

My easy solution get whatever Michelin my car shop suggests, check prices and go from there.

1 Like

He said it’s a sign of the end, not the cause.

1 Like

I still don’t understand how it’s a sign. Turbo’s have been around for decades.

4 Likes

Turbos increase power, which can mean that there is fuel savings and therefore less air pollution. IMO, turbos are life extension for ICEs rather than a sign of the end. A new CRV has a 1.5L turbocharged engine with 2 mpg more on the highway compared to the older generation 2.4L engine. It’s about a 7% increase in fuel economy.

2 Likes

Exactly. They are a way for manufacturers meet newer Cafe’ requirements. 20 years ago very few non sports cars offered a Turbo Charger or Super Charger. Now - almost every manufacturer has a turbo charger option.

1 Like

Totally agree with this reply. In Northern California, 99% of the time all weather tires are the way to go but in Nebraska winters demand another set of tires designed for ice and snow. It’s just a fact of life.

I have owned both the 2.4 L and 1.5 L turbo in a honda CRV. The gas mileage is exactly the same. The only difference is that the turbo engine is so slow to warm up that it is prone to gas contamination in the engine, and they ““fixed”” it by changing the oil minder so that it wants
an oil change about every 3000 miles. I will never again buy a turbo, and if that means no ICE engines, so be it.

Yeah, Honda’s had their issues with that 1.5T. I was VERY impressed with the 1.4T in the Jetta I rented for a month in winter, great power and 45 mpg on the highway.

The EPA estimates are 2mpg higher for the 1.5T city and highway. The test is identical for all cars, and is useful for making decisions if gas mileage is important.