I need new tires

I have a 2005 honda civic and it’s going to need all 4 new tires soon. I live in wisconsin. I am a teacher. Hence, I need decent tires, but I am not a wealthy woman. I need good, sound advice that doesn’t come from a tire-maker. Help a lady out, huh?!

Did you like or dislike the original tires? Are you looking to improve on some aspect of them, such as snow traction, price, road noise, tread life, or anything else?

You could go to the Tire Rack website, punch in your make and model, and read the reviews that people have put in for the tires that fit your car.

Also check out past issues of Consumer Reports for all season tires. They tell you how well a given tire works in ice and snow conditions, which may be important to you. We settled on BFG Traction T/As from Costco after reviewing options for wife’s Subaru. Concidentally, we tested those tires in snow, sleet and ice last Jan to and from Lake Geneva, WI, so I can say they worked well for us. I also like Costco’s single price policy, eliminating any need to figure road hazard vs not, etc. I have found the staff to be knowledgeable and helpful, and had no problems with a warranty issue with tires on my vehicle, making them a winner in my book.

Some good tires (good quality, snow performance, good wear)for that car would be the following:

-Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
-Michelin MXV4 Plus
-Goodyear Assurance TripleTred

You may not have the same oppurtunity there as I have here (I am in St Louis) but
there is a reputable used tire store in town, and I have gotten to know the
operator over the years. You can save quite a bit that way, and you would NOT
be dealing with a commission salesman being paid to dump excess inventory on you.

Sams and Costco deal with good tires at good prices. Is one near you?

I will 2nd the Exalto and Triple Tread suggesztions. I have the Exaltos on my 99 and it handles really good in snowy conditions

Just Google Costco tire. There website will give you prices a tire selection for your car.

Just buy a nationally recognized brand. You will be fine. If you want the best tires available, then Michelins are recognized as being among those but it will cost you extra. When our cars need tires, I go for low price; get them at a Fleet Farm store and have had good results. Being in an upper midwest state, you should have a Fleet Farm store nearby.

Michelin, Michelin, Michelin. Everyone recommends Michelin. I wouldn’t buy another set of Michelins if my life depended on it. One of my cars came with Michelins as original equipment. The tires were fine for the first half of their life (about 25,000 miles), but they became extremely noisy and slippery after that.

At about 30K miles, I had difficulty starting out from a stop in the rain without spinning the tires, and my car is NOT overly powerful. It’s just a 4-cylinder, front-wheel-drive Honda product.

It got to the point where I was anxious for the Michelins to wear out so I could replace them. This was not a fun time to drive my car. As long as the weather was dry everything was fine, but the minute there was a bit of water on the road I had trouble.

Do what you want, but I’m not buying any more Michelins. They last a LONG time, I agree, but there’s more to tires than how long they last.

I replaced the Michelins with tires from Toyo, and I’m very happy with them, but subsequently I put a set of Bridgestone Turanza tires on another car, and they are just AMAZING. Please consider these tires for your car. I Love them, and would buy them again.

What Michelin model was this? How old were they?

People recommend Michelin because they have a superb track record (No pun intended) and frequently rank highest in tests across their model range. I want to hear more about this Michelin model you had though.

I agree, I’ve had nothing but good luck with 6 different sets of Michelins. Always possible to have a bad set, that can happen with any tire brand. Odds are better with Michelin than most others, I think.