Buying new plastic late model car or a plastic Power Wheels?

I am not surprised this is more complex to make but am surprised it isn’t as efficient. I guess the issue is the extra volume introduced by this design.

1 Like

Yes, spot on. Makes sense from perspective of flow… cool stuff one one side, hot stuff on the other. But… it requires 2 cams timed to the camshaft.

Ford’s flathead V8 and Packard’s flathead V12 compromised intake and exhaust flow and suffered from vapor lock because the exhaust and intakes were on the inside of both Vees. But they only needed one camshaft.

Hard to get a decently high compression ratio. Flatheads suffer the same problem, just not as badly.

Yep. Makes sense since there is double the volume in the valve area on a T head. I guess this was their undoing.

As far as vapor lock, always wondered about that with the Cadillac Flatheads, exhaust on top:

Then we have the F head:

1 Like

Works great in the winter… not so great in the summer

I wasn’t thinking about room dust. The desiccant has dust in it and can fracture and make more dust. We used bags of desiccant for shipping moisture sensitive systems and they shed a lot of particles. In line industrial gas filters with desiccant always use a fine mesh particle filter to trap desiccant particles so that the downstream systems aren’t contaminated.

1 Like

I wouldn’t think dust from dessicant would be a huge deal in a cooling system but you definitely wouldn’t want it in the engine. That is something to think about.

I have a little portable propane heater for camping. It runs like 2 hours on a 1lb cylinder so I bought a hose to adapt it to a 20lb cylinder. You have to use an inline filter when doing this as they say the 1lb cylinders use a cleaned and dried gas while the bulk fills are a crap shoot. I bought a filter for $8 and it paid for itself on the first tank. A pack of 12x 1lb cylinders costs $65 and a bulk fill of 20lbs costs $20 in my town.

I don’t know what these filters are made for. They might have dessicant as well as a filter if moisture is a problem for these little heaters. Keeping them burning properly is critical as they are not vented.

I wonder if LPG cars are equipped with filter/driers of any kind in the fuel system.

I understood. Just pointing out other reasons for facility to be concerned about relative humidity in the environment where the cars are stored.

The act of burning propane creates a huge amount of water vapor. I found that out the hard way when I started running one of those unvented construction style cylindrical propane burners in my garage. Everything was soaking wet. Not long after, I installed a used oil fired home furnace that got the uninsulated garage from 10 up to 70 deg in 20 minutes. When I sold the house, that was one thing the buyer was most adamant about staying with the house :grinning:

I presume the furnace’s exhaust was vented to the outside.

It’s humorous what goes on in house-buying transactions. I expect relators have a lot of funny stories, but can’t tell them b/c of confidentiality requirements. One time two bidders were trying to buy the same house, both offering same price. The first insisted an old decrepit 50 year old fence be repaired, the other said they’d accept the fence as-is, and they got the house. Before the deal closed the fence got knocked down in a windstorm, and the original owner’s insurance company replaced it, so the buyer who accepted the old fence, got a new fence anyway, for free … lol …

Such stories all over the web . As long as names , addresses or anything that might lead to the people they can be told. Just like the not so funny stories about Home Owners Association’s .

Absolutely. A thimble through the garage wall and an outside stack to regulation above the roof line. I also set it up as a self priming pump and used an old outboard gas tank with a level indicator and quick disconnects. Oil getting low? disconnect and take the tank to a station to refill. It would run for quite a while on a tankful. Every couple weeks for how often I used it…

2011 Ford Fusion weighs 3285 pounds. That’s with the plastic and the weight saving measures like a narrow metal bumper. The door beam is a flimsy piece of metal that is glued to the door. The brake disks are rather heavy though.

The 2011 fusion has the transmission and aluminium engine oil pan just below the sub frame. So if you run over something that’s what gets hit first. The transmission DOES NOT have a pan on the bottom. it’s on the side. If the the bottom gets busted it’s a transmission removal. It does have a nice square drive pipe thread drain plug waiting to get broken off on the bottom, not the recessed one that Toyota uses on their transmission.

A Toyota Camry from 2000 weighs over 200 pounds less, is probably safer, may get better fuel economy with the manual transmission, and isn’t a piece of junk.