Buying a manual when short, 5’0

I didn’t see anything wrong with what you said.

And of course I don’t want us to lose participation. But the regulars won’t hang around unless there’s new folks around, and new folks don’t stick around if they don’t like the in-crowd vibe. The political discussion stuff is a separate issue.

Please allow me to apologize for the rude behavior of some of our regulars. I’ve been following this discussion, but I chose not to respond since I thought had nothing of value to contribute that wouldn’t be contributed by others. Unfortunately, some of my fellow regulars are either unable or unwilling to exercise the same restraint.

You asked for features you prefer, and rather than help you with that, you’ve had your preferences questioned and demeaned. I could spend an eternity lecturing @old_mopar_guy about how his love of muscle cars is irrational, or asking @VOLVO_V70 why he likes what he likes, but I prefer to answer a direct question with a direct answer whenever I can.

Since you’re obviously not asking about a hand crank, I will offer what I can to help with your desire for a keyed ignition.

I too would prefer the simplicity of a manual ignition switch, but in the end, you an I are fighting a losing battle, and honestly, this is one of the newer features that is quite easy to adjust to. The car I drive now, a 2015 VW Jetta, has push button start, and although I’d prefer it not have that feature, I am adjusting to it. My other vehicle is a motorcycle, and coincidentally, they’ve had push button starters for decades, although it still takes a key to enable the starter.

As for models to recommend, if it weren’t for the fact that you’re looking for a manual transmission, I’d recommend one of the early Priuses, because they had a key fob that fit into a receptacle like a key, although they still used a starter button, kind of like a motorcycle setup. If you can find one of them with a manual transmission, you should should take it for a test drive.

Unless you want to go sporty, the best bet to find something with a manual transmission will be to look at economy hatchbacks, coupes, and economy midsize cars, such as the Honda Fit, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, or a Toyota Yaris. If you are looking for something sporty, a Mazda Miata (MX-5) might be worth checking out.

With modern airbags, sitting close to the steering wheel so you can press the clutch all the way to the floor isn’t going to be safe, so as has already been mentioned, you might consider putting a pedal extender on your clutch.

Again, I apologize for how you’ve been treated. I think some of us must have been raised by wolves.

5 Likes

Now I realize why I used to love eating at Wolfie’s in Miami Beach.

I want to apologize for my unhelpful response earlier. You want a manual, go for it. I’m afraid I can’t offer any recommendations, though. I did drive a manual Dodge Challenger recently, and other than the clutch being very stiff, I had no issue getting the pedal to the floor, but I’m 5’8".

Is a clutch mandatory? Many cars have automatic transmissions and also have manual shift capabilities. Some use the transmission shifter in the console and some use paddle shifters. That way you choose when to shift and you don’t have the hassle of depressing the clutch. These days, auto transmission cars get the same or better fuel mileage compared to fully manual transmission vehicles.

I drive a 2018 Nissan Versa S which has a 5 speed manual, key door locks and ignition and crank up windows. Cheapest car available at the time. Should be fine for a short person.

3 Likes

It’s been two years since the OP posted the question. He/she has more than likely already decided on a car.

Do what you have to do. Please understand this isn’t Reddit, and we enjoy a comparatively high standard of decorum here. For some refraining from profanity is a simply a bridge too far apparently.

3 Likes