Buying a manual when short, 5’0

I’ll bet it wasn’t a high compression V8.

1 Like

The compression was so high that recommended octane rating was 76 :slight_smile:

Engine was 1.36 liter inline-4, which was actually a half-block replica of some old BMW design, one-chamber carburetor and zero electronics: DC generator and vibrating contacts voltage controls.

I had a short friend with the same problem. I told her to move the seat closer to the pedals and lean backa small bit when driving. She drove leaning forward like many young people I see on the road and kept her seat too far back so her arms were not crowded but she could not fully depress the clutch pedal.

Lean back, scoot forward and see if that solves your problem.

1 Like

What problem? Them is looking for a car with a manual transmission. Finding a likable one seems to be the only problem.

The OP seems to have a problem with depressing the clutch enough to change gears . This is also the same person who has someone telling them to put the vehicle in neutral when using exit ramps from expressways . Doesn’t want push button start . I suspect a young person with little experience driving .

3 Likes

Those who resist change will eventually become irrelevant.

So them has had multiple posts going? The one with the Uncle?

I don’t know if I was ever relevant, don’t care either. I gave my cell phone away in 1995, I don’t care if anyone can get in touch with me,

1 Like

I’m seeing the same thing I saw the other day with the thread I closed about lane keep assist. I don’t see how it’s relevant if the person is new at driving, or wants to have a manual. If someone is asking questions about driving, why not let them ask? You shouldn’t knock someone both for a degree of ignorance and for efforts to learn.

7 Likes

Having a daughter who’s also 5’0 and “vertically challenged” I understand the issue. Some of the cars, even the smaller/sportier ones, simply don’t let you move the seat close enough to fully release the clutch without standing on your toes.

Start by looking at SUVs, which allow a more upright seating position closer to the dash, possibly an import manufacturer although she had no problem with a Jeep manual. I think you’ll also find that these manual SUVs tend to come relatively “stripped down” so don’t worry about having to deal with a start button.

In general, manual transmissions are simpler than automatics, generally “stronger” and cheaper to repair BUT never underestimate the ability of some of our younger folks to destroy one so have your mechanic check the clutch wear and the fluid closely for chips and shavings.

1 Like

I think that is representative of what the OP is likely to find. I just hope that the OP is flexible enough to realize that he may have to compromise on his list of “wants”.

Been driving for almost 50 years and always had a key…until my wife’s 07 Lexus with a push button start. I much prefer the push button. Far more convenient and safer. Wife doesn’t have to dig in her purse to find her keys. As long as they’re in her purse or pocket when she touches the handle on her car the door unlocks. Then gets in, presses the brake pedal and pushes the start button.

OP, go to the Carmax web site, find a store near you, filter for manual transmissions, go there and sit in them and see if any fit. The one near me had about 12 available, out of 300 cars on the lot.

3 Likes

Volkswagens had cranks you could start them with into the '60s.

I believe what OP is trying to say is they don’t want a car with push button start. As for size, the smaller the better (something not suitable for taller people). Honestly your going to be hard pressed to find anything perfect. You’ll want AWD or at least FWD for the amount of snow you guys get up there but ground clearance will definitely be an issue. A car that sits 6 inches off the ground will never be able to drive through 2 feet of snow no matter what drive setup or tires you have. My first car when I lived back in Jersey was a manual RWD pickup so believe me when I say that special consideration and attention has to be made when driving a manual in inclement weather. Not rev matching between gears, engaging the clutch at the proper time, or slipping it into the wrong gear on accident can lead to loss of traction on patches of ice or snow. The older Subaru Legacy is the first thing that comes to mind for you though if you can find it in a manual. An ex of mine had one. I barely fit in the passenger seat at 6’2 but she was perfectly fine in it at 5’4. A pain to work on but if well cared for they are nearly bulletproof machines. Keep in mind that no vehicle especially an older one will come without its issues.

1 Like

Why? There’s no difference beyond which way the mechanism moves when you turn the car on. Both types poll the security chip in your key fob and then send a start signal to the ECU if they find a registered key in the car.

The only difference is that you turn one to push the button, and you just push the button on the other.
I mention this not to be argumentative, but because you are going to limit your options for no real reason, unless you just hate buttons or something. :wink:

2 Likes

And when you’re looking for a rare car (manual transmission) that also fits your particular size, you want to maximize your options.

2 Likes

I think that the OP may find this article interesting, even if he/she isn’t looking for a new car.
The bottom line is that his/her choices are going to be VERY limited, and if the car in question also can’t have push-button start, then they will be even more limited.

I know you were only considering used, but the new Hyundai Venue can be bought with a manual trans and starts at less than $20,000. I, too, like driving a stick, and my wife is adept from her VW days in the 1970s. Our Honda Civic 5-speed is primarily her car now.

I guess I just didn’t see how anyone was out of line in their comments. The OP needed to be warned about the perils of finding an acceptable product with the conditions chosen. Some may have been less articulate than others but still said things that needed to be said. Just IMHO. We’re losing enough participants here without getting too picky about the quality of comments.