Brand New Car that is 2.5 years old!

That dealership suffered more from stupidity than from arrogance, I think.
Are they still in business?

No, the dealership sold out not too long after that. The new owner was very accomodating. My son lost the gas cap off our Ford Taurus (the car I bought instead of the Pontiac) a couple of years after I tried to buy the Pontiac. He stopped at the Pontiac dealer (for what reason, I don’t know) and asked about a replacement cap. The service writer was very accomodating–called the Ford dealer to make certain that they had a replacement and sent him to the Ford agency with no charge. I called the agency to thank them for helping my son and treating him with respect as my son was a teenager at the time. I wanted to just leave a thank-you message, but the receptionist had me taok to the new owner of the agency. In talking with the new owner, I found out that the former owner was an alcoholic and that the new dealer had to really clean up the agency. Had I been in the need of a car at the time, I would have started at that dealership.

If the car is not started up regularly and the engine oil changed at the recommended intervals, whether it has been used or not I believe the engine can suffer. I understand the engine parts have to be coated with an oil-film, thus it has to be cranked & started evry so often.
Nevertheless it sound like a great deal (make sure its legal)

SO!? I’ve been out of town for week and was expecting to see the name of this mystery lot lizard, but nothing since 2/25. What is it Colt Hero?

Well, I can report that I went to see the vehicle and it DOES exist and the price IS what they stated (although they tried to bump it up a grand initially, then backed off). The mileage was mis-stated, however. They had originally said 7 miles, but it turned out the vehicle has ~650 miles on it. I had to laugh when I turned the key and saw the number, but I actually think this is a positive because it shows that someone has been driving the vehicle at least enough to keep reasonably fresh gas circulating through it (and keep the tires from developing flat spots).

As for the appearance of the vehicle, it wasn’t being advertised (not facing the road or anything), and they had it sitting under a tree that was dropping sap and berry stains all over it. The interior looked reasonably clean (except for just a little topical dirt on the rear floor mats). So - I gave it the road test, but since I got there so late (it was a fairly long drive and we got off late), I wasn’t able to get it out on the highway to see how it ran at high speed. But, it didn’t seem to have any problems at 45 mph - no shaking or hesistation in the engine. Seemed pretty smooth to me. While I was busy finalizing the paperwork, my “helpers” checked out the features for me (and they all seemed to work). But then I emerged from the showroom with a long face. Why? - because it was Saturday and the dealer said he could not consummate the deal. The reason that was given I have since found to be untrue, but it’s not clear to me right now if they were giving me the runaround, or if they really didn’t know what they were doing (neither seems to make sense to me - but I have another possible reason which I cannot mention just yet).

Because of this failure to consummate, I now need to make a 2nd trip (and as I said above, this is a farily long drive for me). I probably won’t be going for 2-3 more weeks. If the vehicle is still there at that time, I will re-visit, re-check (entirely myself and far more thoroughly), and if everything checks out, I will actually buy the vehicle (I think).

So I’ll post back at that time with the final verdict…

I am on the edge of my seat.

The dealership can’t consummate deals on a Saturday? This is just one more very strange bit of information about this car deal that makes me suspicious.

Sounds like they are going to magically find another “buyer” and then try to start a bidding war between you and Ernie from from the servrice dept. (the new buyer) in order to try to make some money on this. I’ve seen this dance before.

BTW why don’t you just come out and tell us the make/model of this mythical car?

They can sell a car at 3 AM on Sunday if they want to. Tell them to **** or get off the pot. And that’s your final offer.

Their reason for not consummating actually had some truth to it (but it was weak). Had it only come from the salesman it might’ve been believable (he might have been new or misinformed), but since the Sales Manager was backing him, it seemed suspicious to me. At one point, they DID offer a workaround, but it required me to trust them which I didn’t feel I could do. So I’ll return in a few weeks. No rush on this. For all I know, they know the vehicle is a lemon and that’s why it hasn’t sold. Or, somewhere in those 600+ miles they damaged the vehicle and repaired it and now are just selling it at a used vehicle price.

watching and waiting, waiting and watching with a gleaming scimitar clutched tightly in his yellow teeth. (firesign theater)

Do you guys remember Shakespirit from last year? this thread is the work of the spawn of Shakespirit.

You guys are funny. And no relation to Shakespirit, but you’ve piqued my curiosity. I’ll have to look that one up…

You don’t expect to be taken seriously do you? at this point this thread is just entertainment.

Mind you I compared you to a Forum participant “Shakespirit” not the writer Shakespear.

I admit Shakespirit did have a intertaining way of expressing himself.

The only place I can think of where you can’t buy a car on Saturday is the province of Quebec in Canada. Something to do labor laws. I’ve otherwise long ago lost interest in this thread!

went a little to far with all the b/s.tell us the make and model allready.you cant drag this out to much longer.he reminds me of a neighbor who is a stockbroker swears buy a few stock option that are/will be lucrative at some time in the future.

Two words: Chrysler Crossfire.

I can’t think of any car that rotted on lots for longer than those.

…and with good reason.

The whole idea that a Dealer keeps a car on his lot this long is bogus,the Dealer takes action on cars that don’t sell. The first thing that happens is the car gets moved to another location. The Dealer just doesn’t sit there waiting for things to change,they take action.

Haven’t you ever heard “making room for the new models” after moving this car around to different Dealers didn’t work this car would have been wholesaled long ago.

The crossfire looks like a cool car, I would take one for a summer car, If I could fit the golf clubs in the trunk. Looks like in my estimation we will go 100 posts with no clue.