Brand New Car that is 2.5 years old!

I have to apologize for this thread. The intent was to ask a general question and get a general answer(s). I didn’t expect an uproar like this (over a run-of-the-mill American vehicle). And I didn’t want to give the make and model because - even though it’s highly unlikely - someone COULD conceivably locate the vehicle and purchase it before I get to check it out. But, for all I know, this vehicle is sitting facing some main drag right now with the 49% off sales price etched on the front windshield in 12" long numbers, so that may happen anyway.

Now - what do I think is going to happen with this vehicle? The price is going to spike AT LEAST $2500 just before I finalize the transaction. I’m fully expecting this. And if it does, I won’t buy it. I had this happen to me back in '89 when I bought my first new car (an '89 Dodge Colt -hence my handle name “Colt Hero”). That car was magnificent! $5800 brand new, 250,000 miles, no problems. As dependable as the rising sun! But I digress. At the very last minute, the Sales Manager bolted into the room where I was working with the salesguy to finalize the paperwork and told me he couldn’t sell me the car unless he added $67 to the deal. I told him to forget it, he walked out of the office immediately, and the deal was dead - over a measly $67! I ended up buying the same car at the same price (but different color) the next day at a “sister” dealership 30 miles away that I was initially dealing with. Apparently the two dealerships were talking back and forth the whole time.

As far as this “deal” goes, I have the price for the vehicle (which shows my offer, their rejection and counter-offer, plus their silly “fee” amount) on a form from the dealership. This was not an on-line transaction. It’s my own form. Since the Colt purchase 20 years ago, I haven’t been into a dealership showroom unless I’m there to pick up a vehicle I’ve already bought. Now, does the dealship have to honor the number on my form? Probably not. Like I said, if anything goes awry on this “deal”, I’ll just get back in my car and drive home.

I’ll post back with the conclusion as soon as possible - but that might be two weeks away. Might not even be able to find this thread on this forum by then…

I am also curious what vehicle this is. As this is a international website and we have no idea where you are located, I think your secret will still be safe.

I agree you might not be able to find your way back here.

[i][u]Might not even be able to find this thread on this forum by then…
[/i][/u]You are being downright omniterent, spare a bookmark for this page or copy and paste the link into notepad
http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/2118610.page
Agree or face massive protest and ostracism of your name from the face of cartalk.
My guess 2007 Dodge Sprinter.
Worth it at 1/2 the price?

I was just kidding. I’ll find it again - even on this board, which used to be a lot better than it is today. Never really understood why they changed the format - what was it - 2 or 3 years ago? It was SO much better before.

“Omniterent” - did you misspell that? You meant that I was being completely intolerable? Pretty funny stuff. I have to say that as bad as this board has become, it still has some of the better writers.

Let’s hear some more guesses. That’s more interesting than the vehicle deal itself (which will probably turn out to be a ruse anyway). So far we’ve got the Pontiac Aztek and Dodge Sprinter. Maybe along with your guess you could add what your maximum price is you’d pay for your vehicle.

Pontiac Aztek - how low does the price have to go in order to sign on the dotted line? How about the Dodge Sprinter. Remember, we’re talking about a very-well equipped vehicle here. Not EVERY option, but pretty close to it. Just trying to keep the thread alive in the meantime…

OK it might be a made up word “Omniterent”. But it makes sense to me, who the heck gets to decide those things anyway. Along the previous post by vdcdriver “There’s a lid for every pot”, I knew a used car sales guy who’s motto was there is an s for every seat!

d

My guess 2007 Dodge Sprinter.
Worth it at 1/2 the price?

Are you kidding!? I don’t know about Colt Hero, but I’d snap up a 1/2 price Sprinter unless there was something really wrong with it. Well, not really because I don’t need a van right now, but it would be very tempting.

I’m guessing it’s some GM product. Maybe a discontinued Saturn or such.

Just wanted to pop in here and remind you all that there’s another way to track the discussion –

If you scroll up to the original post and click on the magnifying glass below and to the left of the yellow box, you can receive e-mail notification of new posts to the discussion you’re tracking.

And for future reference, when you start discussions, there is a checkbox to follow the thread on the discussion creation form. You’ll be notified by e-mail when your question is answered unless you un-check that box. It is essentially the same function as the magnifying glass.

My money is on a Chevy Aveo or possibly a Chrysler Sebring

I don’t know about that. Even though those two cars are definitely “losers” when compared to their competition, some people seem to be buying them, so it is hard to believe that even those cars would remain in dealer inventory for 2.5 years.

Could it be the discontinued Suzuki Verona, which was actually a recycled, rebadged version of the late, unlamented Daewoo Leganza?

Edited to add:
I just noticed that the OP stated that this mystery vehicle was an “American” vehicle, so I have to cancel my guess about it being a Suzuki Verona. While the Chevy Aveo is built in Korea, I suppose that the Chevy badge on it might qualify it as an “American” vehicle to some people, so maybe I shouldn’t have doubted FoDaddy’s guesses.

The word is ‘omnipotent’, meaning all-powerful. ‘Omniscient’ would be all-knowing. Me? I’m omnivorous. If it sits in one place too long, it’s dinner.

I don’t think that’s where he was going with that…

What’s a PT Impalinterbu? And what do you mean by “Colt Hero is not really trying to send me a message, I hope.”??

Never heard of the Dodge Sprinter until now. Boy, is that thing ugly - and expensive! Over $20k at half sticker!

I said this vehicle had many features. I don’t think a Chevy Aveo has many features. In fact, wasn’t that Fred Flintstone’s car?

c

Could be mountains of problems. If they ever put fluids into it, you’re looking at a very real possibility of having to change all the fluid lines, hoses and filters…brakes, fuel, coolant system, etc. Also rotted serpentine belt is a possibility, tires as you already mentioned, rust build up in the bottom of the fuel tank, electrical faults, you name it the list goes on and on…personally I think it’s gonna cost you that other 50% of the price you’re “saving” to repair this car to proper functionality again.

It sat for 2.5 years not 25 years.

I ran into the same situation back in the fall of 1988. The Pontiac dealer had a new 1987 Pontiac 6000 and at this point the 1989 cars were coming out. I told the salesperson that I was going to buy a car that week and to give me the lowest price on the car. The salesperson disappeared to talk to the sales manager, came back and said “We will take $150 off the sticker price”. I said, “No, thank you”. She then said, “Well, that isn’t our lowest price”. I said that I’m not wasting any more time and left. My guess is that you may have run into an arrogant dealer just as I did.