Brakes need to be changed

@keith i was looking at these…

But also was looking at the ones you showed me as well but also need the drums. Honestly I really don’t want to take it a shop for them to look at them and see if they need to be replaced I honestly just want to replace them anyway. I had this car for almost 3 years and haven’t changed them. Would like to just do it just to do and then get some new tires.

And I’m sorry everyone, don’t mean to keep going back and fourth.

I agree, Dave. Brakes is not a job for someone who doesnt know if his car is front wheel or rear wheel drive, and doesn’t know if it has a four or six cylinder engine and who also thinks that using a driveway mechanic is a good idea.

2 Likes

@old_mopar_guy I do know how many cylinders my car is. And this mechanic of mines is definitely more then just a driveway mechanic. Trust me man he’s definitely one of the better mechanics I can promise you that. He actually does have a place of work but I’m never able to make it to his place because of my schedule so he works on my car in his personal garage.

In post 83 you said:

Then why are you going to spend money on something you may not need???

Unless you have unlimited funds, only replace what is needed and if for example your rear brakes are only 1/2 worn then leave them alone… Use the rest of your budget to put on better tires… Most places have a good, better, best selection on tires, if you just blow most of your budget on un needed bakes then you may only be able to get the good ones, and most of those are junk compared to the best tires… But if you are smart about what you replace brake wise then you will have more left in your budget for better tires… Now since none of us can see your brakes or have a crystal ball that works, we can’t tell if you need everything or nothing or somewhere in between…

BTW: I can only imagine how the tire selection is going to go… :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I really want to discourage you from doing that. It doesn’t take very long for your mechanic to inspect the rear brakes, just take off the wheels and then pull the drums off. About a half hour job and you could compensate him for that by having your tires rotated at the same time.

But the real reason I want to deter you from doing this is that in my experience, the aftermarket shoes are not as good as the OEM and often won’t hold the car like the original shoes do. I have made this mistake my self twice and both times, the rear brakes became totally useless. There are so few cars today with rear drums that the manufacturers just don’t off the types of high friction linings like the discs have. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Agree that is what Granny always said.

I don’t quite agree with that

There are plenty of high-quality aftermarket brake shoes

1 Like

I replaced my Corolla’s rear brake shoes a couple years ago. Aftermarket parts. I don’t notice any difference in brake performance, original shoes to replacement shoes. But maybe I just don’t notice the difference. I expect rear drum brakes are a pretty small part of the total braking force, when the car’s front brakes are discs.

I will be having mechanic check my brakes next weekend. I have the parts and will return if I don’t need them.

1 Like

I’m not saying the quality is not there, but I order oem brake pads because I know they will be quiet and perform as the originals do. I’ve had some squeaky brakes before. Sure they work but there are so many choices of brand and line, I’ll just stick with what I know I’ll be happy with. Just me. That’s why I keep the box so I can order the same part numbers again, and also check that I got the right ones before I start.

Going a little astray on the topic here, but your post reminded me of a recent parts purchase experience, set of spark plugs for my Corolla. I kept the old NGK box & gave it to the parts guy, saying I wanted 4 of these. Still didn’t get it right … lol … had to try again.