Brakes dont work good

Do we really want to now.

Humm, probably not! but if you want to fix your car. Yeah most definitely you do

1 Like

Why did you put mechanic in parentheses

youā€™re either a mechanic . . . or youā€™re not

no parentheses

I, along with many of the other regulars, have been a mechanic . . . no parentheses . . . for decades

Iā€™ve got WAY more ASE credentials than you

I passed my last L1 recert with flying colors in 2018 . . . the current composite car, as far as I know

Just saying

And by the way . . . I donā€™t advise guys how to convert their cars to mechanical brakes

Just because you know how to do something doesnā€™t always make it a good idea

1 Like

Thing about cars is there is nothing that canā€™t be done if you have the time skill and $$$ you can do anything you want to a car or truck including mechanical brakes.

1 Like

I recall reading this court case summary. Some guy wanted a custom high powered car. He knew enough to be dangerous but couldnā€™t fabricate any of it. So he went to a professional and the guy built what the customer wanted. The guy was out of his league and promptly wrapped it around a tree. Ended up paralyzed and was suing the guy who built it. His argument- as a professional, he should have known better than to provide this novice with something so powerful he would get hurt in it.

The point is, just because you CAN do it, doesnā€™t mean you SHOULD do it. Some half-butted rube goldberg mechanical brake setup is going to kill this guy or someone else. Just like you dope slap a bud that is drunk and about to do something heā€™ll regret, responsible people are trying to discourage this ill advised adventure. You should be tooā€¦IMO.

3 Likes

good idea or not itā€™s not your project and he didnā€™t ask for your opinion on it and no you donā€™t have more than me ASE cert. only last for 4 yrs on average. you got your 1st in 2018 I got my 1st in 1992 and there is a difference in a mechanic and a parts changer you must be a parts changer because of your comments also he is looking to do the work himself not having someone else do it for him no I would not do it for him at a shop but as a project car, I could build a mechanical brake system that would function very well with mechanical disk brakes! This is where you could start creating a mechanical disc brake system! also take in the fact that it is a 70s car so he isnt a hot rodder or a reckless driver so he isnt going to be pushing it like a bat outta hell or it would be so trashed by now he wouldnt think about keeping it. e41-8592_4|484x500

1 Like

lol ok parts changer

1 Like

You know for sure that there are mechanics and there are mechanics. Youā€™ve been around long enough to know what Iā€™m saying.

Just today a customer came in, drives a Buick LeSabre. He has a complaint of an intermittent vibration on acceleration. His regular ā€œmechanicā€ referred him to us to have an alignment done, because he was sure thatā€™s what the car needed.

Yesterday a woman with a Silverado brought her truck to us, her regular ā€œmechanicā€ said there was a pinhole leak in her condenser and thatā€™s why the A/C sometimes blows cold and sometimes warm.

A fleet customer brought in a van for us to check the catalytic converter. Their regular ā€œmechanicā€ said thatā€™s where the rotten egg smell was coming from. Apparently he didnā€™t notice the 10 year old swollen leaky battery.

Iā€™m thankful that there are ā€œmechanicsā€ out there. They send me a lot of business.

5 Likes

What took you so long?

1 Like

Referring to the picture of a brake caliper posted above in post 92.

You would actually consider using go-kart calipers on an almost 2-ton car? I hope you mean just using that as an idea for a starting point.

Actually designing and fabbing brake parts (for a regular everyday street-driven car, driven like a bat out of Hades or not) would incur way too many liability issues, as @TwinTurbo alluded to above, even if the OP built it himself. He could still end up killing someone, if not himself, if (or more likely when) the system failed.

1 Like

Well to be fair the picture he posted is a rear caliper from an early 80ā€™s Riviera/Toronado. But itā€™s a conventional hydraulic caliper. The cable connection is for the parking brake mechanism. Enough to keep the car from rolling when itā€™s parked. Nowhere near enough to stop a car when driving.

Iā€™ll have to take your word on that. I did a reverse image search and found it here on Amazon, as part of a go-kart brake kit. Maybe that kit is using actual car calipers, or there is an error on the Amazon page, but it is also shown here, sold as a rear go-kart caliper.

The Olds calipers on Rockauto look quite a bit different.

You apparently donā€™t read very well

I never said I got my first ASE cert in 2018

However, I did say I passed my L1 RECERT . . . which means recertification . . . in 2018

And I never did say how many certs I had, only that I had way more than you do . . . based on your statement that you had 5

go ahead and believe whatever you want . . .

I understand you. You couldnā€™t be clearer. And I agree with you.

Speaking of mechanics and mechanics . . .

one of my current colleagues looks to be about 15 years older than me, so literally a generation older. Anyways, Iā€™ve determined heā€™s been wrenching about the same amount of time as I have. Yet heā€™s not very good. His diagnostic skills are only so-so, maybe less than average, in fact. Heā€™s not good at finding information. He canā€™t think outside of the box, which can be an important skill set, in my opinion. He doesnā€™t have a lot of confidence, either, which makes the supervisor(s) wonder if the guy knows what heā€™s doing and so on.

The guy is fine doing simple things, such as scheduled preventive services, brake jobs, oil changes and maybe busting tires. But thatā€™s it. And he misses a lot of stuff. For example, on an inspection, heā€™ll miss that the pads and tires are worn. If you give him a check engine light . . . especially evap . . . or some electrical problem, heā€™s pretty much out of his element. He has no concept of mode 6 data or freeze frame. Thereā€™s good information available, and he has no idea what it is or how to use it . . .

Sadly, this guy might fit the description of mechanic with the parentheses

And his case proves a point . . . just because somebodyā€™s been at their job a long time, doesnā€™t mean they were ever doing it well and/or correctly

Iā€™m pretty sure heā€™s not senile or suffering from early onset dementia or anything like that. I believe he simply was never a good wrench

I genuinely like the guy, and we get along very well. We have a good rapport, so to speak. But I donā€™t have a high opinion of his skills.

3 Likes

I have no doubt you could do it. So could I and half the people posting here. But that doesnā€™t make it right to instruct someone else that doesnā€™t have a first clue how to do it. That makes you complicit and irresponsible.

2 Likes

Tex-Rebel has been Banned . Good move by the Moderator. @cdaquila I would also suggest that all of his posts be removed .

6 Likes

He only got a 1 year ban, not the century + ban given more recently wet wax guy and others. Maybe heā€™ll come back and spew garbage again next year, wonā€™t that be fun :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I donā€™t think he meant for you to use this part, but was giving you an idea of how to start and he mentioned fabrication and customising with that in mind as a machinist I can see where this is leading besides cars have to pass a state safety inspection every year if it passes fine if not we wonā€™t be able to have registration so why are their so many haters out here saying you cant. CANā€™T never could do anything do you think racing would have ever been created if cant had its way

??? No mechanical brake caliper exists for use in cars. So someone suggesting designing a brake system (the single most important safety system on a car) around something that doesnā€™t exist earns my scorn.

2 Likes

so what HATER scorn all you want too do you really think any one is going to loose any sleep over your scorning. have a happy life scorning everything you dont approve of oh and the world dosenā€™t revolve around you

Mr. Fixit, this thread was started by what many believe is a Troll and then joined by a possible Troll who has been Banned . There are over 100 posts so you might want to read all of them before you criticize people who have made logical replies .
The idea of strictly mechanical brakes is a terrible idea and I hope you really donā€™t approve of it.

1 Like