Brakes "beep" when pedal released

Hi Folks,

I have a 2005 Honda Civic LX Automatic, and recently I have noticed a “beep” sound that seems to be coming from my passenger side rear brake. This happens when I release the brake pedal, but not when I push it in. It does not happen every day, but, like this morning, it made the “beep” every time I released the pedal on the way in to work.

I noticed that if I put the car in neutral and hit the brakes, I can hear and even feel (near the the shifter) something going on right beneath the shifter.

I am stumped about what is going on, and trying to avoid a trip to the dealer. :slight_smile:

I would appreciate any ideas or thoughts on the issue.

Thanks!

I have also recently replaced my battery after the old one died, and the mystery beep DID start soon after that.

I think your beep is a squeak. I think you have a dry pivot or rusty spring or something and it’s causing just a little squeak that sounds like a beep. If you’re not comfortable working on brakes, have your mechanic pull off the rear wheels, and ask them to grease the points where the shoes and levers pivot, and possibly replace the shoe return springs if they are very rusty. Bet that will solve your beep.

Thank you for the reply. I could definitely be a squeak. :slight_smile:

I will check the pivot points and the shoe return springs.