Brake Vacuum Pump 2012 Jetta SE 2.5L

Hello! I went to the dealer to have my 60,000 mile service for my 2012 Jetta SE 2.5L automatic and I was told that my Brake Vacuum Pump needs to be replaced…What is the typical time frame of that part breaking down? does anyone know of any recalls for that part? should that be covered under VW warranty? how much should this cost?

pump costs about $300.00 on the aftermarket,check on any vw forms

Did you complain about a brake issue or did they just discover this (somehow) during the routine servicing? If your brakes are working fine, you might want to get a second opinion on the pump…

They just discovered this during routine service, which I thought was weird being that my car is running fine, no noises or anything…I will do that thanks!

This is probably another " imaginary" problem invented by the dealership. And it seems they are especially creative when the customer is a woman.

Apparently, VW uses a vacuum pump, rather than manifold vacuum, as more reliable given their common use of turbo and/or diesel engines. (However,the 2.5L 5-cyl, to my knowledge, is neither.) From what I’ve seen in the VW blogs, you’d usually wait for the vacuum pump to start leaking oil before replacing.

The dealer said that the vacuum pump is starting to sweat, which is an indicator of a leak. (I guess)