Brake lights work but running lights none

Legacy outback 1998 at night completely dark until I hit the brakes or turn signal. No running lights at all in the back.

:neutral_face: It’s been a while since we’ve seen common_sense_answer — their last post was in Mar '19.

THANK YA, THANK YA VERY MUCH! :clap:

What have you checked, so far? Check fuses. Check bulbs. Give us information from those checks and the process of diagnosing and remediation will possibly need to be escalated.
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

2 Likes

Are the headights turned on by the switch on the dash, not automatically? See owners manual.

Look in your owners manual for a breakdown of the fuses… Those lights may be fused.

Are we discussing daytime running lights or the first click on the light switch?

Welcome back , CSA .

THANK YA, THANK YA VERY MUCH! :clap:
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

The problem might be caused by a faulty multi-function switch.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=943025&cc=1305492&jsn=368

Tester

Good to see the banners are working to provide a more welcoming community. Usually you would have complained about him reopening a 4 hour old post…

:smiley:

@Frankie_Franklin - brake lights and running lights are almost certainly on different fuses, so as others have said- check those first.

1 Like

There is a rocker switch on the top of the steering column. Turn it on and see if the lights in the rear now work. You don’t need to turn the ignition ON to make this test. Turning on that switch bypasses some of the normal running light circuitry. Be sure to turn it OFF when you are done with the test.

I assume the front lights are working correctly and if so this would mean the wiring to the rear lights needs to be checked out. I also assume you have verified that the bulbs in the rear are good working ones.