Brake hose clogged while bleeding. Has that ever happened?

1999 Ford Taurus. Bleeding the brakes after replacing the brake line for the front right and after about 4 pumps it clogged up and no fluid came out. The top bleeder on the hose let fluid out, but nothing came out the caliper end. It had been sitting for a long time. Maybe there was rust inside the brake line? All I could have done is gotten some metal shavings from my file in there when I was preparing the lines to be flared for the union patch. It took 3 attempts to flare due to me not paying attention to detail. It was a strange place for rust but it’s because the engine belt threw salt under the windshield where the brake line runs across. Had to go out and buy a new hose. I bought the old one in which you should always do since they did try to sell me a left hose and the people at the counter said there is no difference between left and right at first.

It’s not going to be on the road long since there are holes in the floor pan on each side of the metal reinforcement piece that goes between your feet. Probably half of the crash structure is gone, so it’s about as dangerous as driving a sub compact car now. But I’m curious how this could happen with the brakes.

Did you replace the rubber portion of the brake line? If not I’d be willing to bet, albeit a very small wager, that the rubber hose has deteriorated to the point of blocking the flow. If you did replace this hose, then I have no real ideas, other than replace everything between the master cylinder and the caliper, and all bets are off!
Surprise after thought. Try completely removing the bleeder on the caliper, see what if anything happens.

1 Like

If you replaced a line with rust… there is probably crap that made it into the lines.

A standard 4mm (3/16") brake pipe is less than 1/8 inch internal diameter… Doesn’t take much to clog that. The solution is to blow the lines out with air. Disconnect the rubber lines, blow each out. Blow out the metal lines. If you can’t get the debris out so that air flows easily, they must be replaced.

Remove the bleeder screw and see if brake fluid comes out the caliper.

If so, the bleeder screw needs to be replaced because the old one is clogged.

Tester

1 Like

Yes I had to replace the hose. I let a bunch brake fluid get pumped out the end of the brake line with the hose disconnected to make sure no more debris would get put in to the new hose if that was the cause. The hose deteriorating seems to make the most sense.