Boxed oil?

I remember Aldi very well . . .

In fact, I remember the old days, while they were still in Europe

Some of you may find this hard to believe . . . their products weren’t always high quality

I know they improved things at some point, but I’m not sure when that was

How big are the stores over here in the USA . . . ?

Some of the stores in europe were on the small side . . . I’m talking back in the day, not currently. I say this because I’ve been living here for over 20yrs now

The original ALDI stores in The US were fairly small. Now that they are getting a run for their money from LIDL (their big competitor in Germany), which is rapidly expanding in The US with BIG stores, the newer ALDI stores have grown in size.

3 Likes

The Aldi stores near me are about the same size as a Trader Joe’s, about half the size of a chain grocery store.

1 Like

How’s the Aldi parking lot . . . ?!

The Trader Joe’s near me have serious problem with the parking situation. Too small for the number of customers, and the layout is bad

That is true of the older ALDI stores in my area, but the ones that were built over the past couple of years are bigger. Not as large as a typical supermarket, but bigger than the older ones.

“Fast glugfree pour” sounds not so messy. There must be a thin plastic liner containing the oil, as in boxed wine. Aiming the last bit of the pour by tilting the box may be hard if trying to hit the oil filler hole, but a funnel should take care of that.

Well let’s not get all ecology minded. Ya think maybe they are doing it to save money that may or may not get passed on to the ultimate buyer. I’ve been either re-using or recycling the plastic jugs for years. I use about 15 of them for used oil and empty at the recycling center once a year or so. Others go into the recycling bin. I used to use coffee cans for mixing paint until they went to plastic and the plastic just does not hold up to well to hot reducer.

At any rate, a 5 or 6 quart container of any kind requires for me anyway, to pour some into another container, with one car taking 4 quarts, another 4 1/2, and the lawn mower 1 1/2. Gonna be pretty hard to measure out 1 1/2 quarts pouring out of a box so I’m not throwing quart containers away anymore.

There are two. The one to the east is on a large lot without parking problems. The other is south, and parking is not too bad, despite being between Costco and Best Buy. The real problem at Costco is that the store is on one side of the road through the shopping center and the gas station is on the other. Getting past them is often difficult due to the traffic.

I think the size of our Aldi stores are about the same, @vdcdriver. The TJs is about 10:years old, and might be on the larger side for them.

Aldi stores and Trader Joe’s in the US are both owned by Aldi, one is owned by Aldi Red and the other by Aldi Green but I can’t remember which is which.

Looks like it would create a mess to me unless it was poured into an easier to use container. The oil fill on my Sonoma is near the rear on the passenger side. It would be difficult to wrestle that box with it jammed against the hood.

Around here it’s Wal Mart or No Mart at all. I don’s stereotype people by where they shop. Since all of the Air Force enlisted and officer corps shop at WM I don’t brand them as hick rednecks. Matter of fact, the WM clientele are light years ahead of city and county officials when it comes to dumbassedness.

WOW! Like boxed wine boxed oil will need to be served up in smaller containers, the jug mentioned by @db4690 would be fine

1 Like

Where I live, we’re not allowed to put empty used oil bottles into the recycling bin. When I buy 5 quart jugs from Wally World, I place the used oil in them, and take those to the recycling center. But when I make the semi annual trek to Costco, and buy a case of 12 one quart bottles, I have to put the empty ones in the trash! (Impractical to pour 5 qts back into 1 qt bottles.)
What ever happened to those 1 quart cardboard metal capped “cans” that were around in the 70s and 80s, like Sears used to sell? I still see them used in commercial aviation (Mobil Jet Oil). But even us General Aviation users have been using plastic 1 qt (Aeroshell) bottles since the late 80s.

1 Like

TJs is owned by the family that owns Aldi Nord (north). The Aldi stores in the US are owned by Aldi Sud (south). Nord and Sud used to be the same company, but the brothers that co-owned Aldi had a falling out and split the company in two, geographically.

3 Likes

Yup!
And, the brothers bear the family name of Albrecht.
ALDI is an acronym for Albrecht Discount, so it should be shown in capital letters.
:wink:

I believe one of the brothers passed away . . . within the last few years, if I remember correctly

why would it be more messy than a huge plastic bottle? It’s got a spout and I assume most people use a funnel when pouring from a 5 or 6 quart container. By the way, it’s not a Wal-Mart product but Havoline.

I guess kinda like those bladders of milk now. No box, just the bag. Careful when you cut it open or you get milk everywhere. Then you have to pour it into something-I assume a pitcher or something. Who has pitchers anymore unless making lemonade or Kool ade?

1 Like

I wouldn’t object too much myself to that sort of oil container. I mean if it came with a price discount. I don’t pour directly from the 5 quart plastic jug into the engine anyway, at least for the first half. Instead I pour from the big jug into smaller container. Usually I use an empty 1.5 liter Listerine bottle. I cut the top part off first and use it for a funnel. It’s just the right size, it sort of screws into the Corolla’s oil fill hole for a good solid connection.

As far as WalMart, folks above have pretty much already pointed out the +'s and -'s . I don’t go there very often. But when I go it’s usually an interesting experience. Some good, some bad, but mostly ok. I guess the thing I dislike the most about the WalMart shopping experience is the parking lot. For some reason there are a lot of people hanging out along the sidelines, often yelling at each other, which makes me a little nervous.

1 Like

When I buy the 5 quart jug and change oil, I pour one quart out into an empty one quart oil container labeled with the same product. Then I just pour the remaining four quarts into the engine. If it’s the car that takes 4 1/2 quarts, I pour in half of the contents of the one quart container. I don’t mind the 5 quart jug as long as I’ve kept a supply of empty one quart containers. Pouring from a box or a 6 quart might be an issue as already mentioned.

Maybe not be messier…but a lot harder to handle. The plastic jugs have a nice handle.