BMW recalls 1 million vehicles for fire risk

BMW told ABC News last spring that with almost five million BMW vehicles on U.S. roads, such fire incidents are rare

So affecting about 1 in 5 BMWs?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/bmw-recalls-million-vehicles-fire-risk/story?id=50922136

1 Like

I don’t know but seems like 3 out of 4 BMW’s on the road have some sort of a “fire” under the driver’s seat if you know what I mean.

2 Likes

And you thought a fire extinguisher might be a nice addition, too bad

1 Like

Thanks!. Probably wouldn’t have heard about this recall otherwise.

Thanks for posting recall info!
Apparently, our extinguisher is affected, would not know unless you posted it

Geez from 1973? I think I’ve got about 4 of them. I’ll have to check the numbers. When I needed one though it worked fine.

1 Like

I am concerned about having an attached garage. If a fire starts in the wiring of the car, it can spread quickly to the house. The house we lived in when I was growing up had a garage that was attached to the house. My dad converted the garage to living space and built a detached garage. Our insurance premium went down. Our son’s in-laws had a Lincoln Town Car. The car was parked just outside the garage when a fire started in the wiring. The flames jumped into the eaves of the house and did considerable damage to the house as well as destroying the car. In this case, the cause was believed to be in the cruise control wiring. Ford had a problem back then. My 1990 Ford Aerostar was recalled for this problem. Until the recall was performed, I left the vehicle outside. There are now smoke detectors on the market that are sold in sets of three and interconnect wirelessly. I am going to purchase a set and place one detector in the garage and the other two in the house to get an advanced warning if a fire starts in the garage.

1 Like

Just be ready for false alarms if you put one in the garage. I’ve got the hard wired ones at home and the wireless ones at the cabin. Drives you nuts when one goes off for some reason and you have to run around trying to find the one that alarmed. Gotta blow them out at least once a year but still doesn’t take much to set them off. Don’t forget the CO detectors though that should be on each floor and within a few feet of each bedroom. Spent a Saturday pulling more wires in the ceiling to meet the new codes.

Yeah my sister had substantial damage in her house when the Mustang in the garage caught fire maybe 20 some years ago. Took about 6 months to repair the house. Sheet rock helps but still cars burn hot.

1 Like

A friends house was toast, due to a boat kept in the garage, Adults kids and dogs survived,

I’m guessing the following sentence is the key issue, copied from WB’s link:

"Modern luxury cars have become so complex, Kane said, that it’s hard to pinpoint issues that arise. "

1 Like

[quote=“George_San_Jose1, post:10, topic:109148”]
"Modern luxury cars have become so complex, Kane said, that it’s hard to pinpoint issues that arise. "
[/quote]

Maybe that should be reason enough not to make them this complex I guess. I mean even if the maker of the car can not figure it out…

2 Likes

OMG! Thanks for this info! This is so alarming!

1 Like