BMW 1-Series - awesome? headache? awesome enough to make the headache bearable?

The six-cylinder models come only with a 5-speed automatic.
No manual trans is available with the six, nor is the CVT.

And, the six cylinder models get an upgraded AWD system, hence the rear wheel bias.
As a result, I am a happy camper–as Dan Quayle liked to say.

@VDC
Upgraded ? Does that mean they change the software ? Still, the Legacy 6 is where my heart is for a good all round road car.
I have a friend with a BMW 3 series 6 cylinder and a 6 cylinder Outback ( his second) . Says he finds little differnce in the power of the two and likes the Outback for longer trips. The BMW does corner better he says, but not how he drives it. It’s more a statement car when he retired. When it comes time to trade the BMW, he’s looking at a Legacy or another Outback. Lives in Mass, has a camp in central Maine. Likes to drive and likes going anywhere, anytime in NE with few worrys about weather. Will always have Awd. Has elderly parent and inlaws and really likes having capability to drive north when then have to in any weather. So if you trip around NE in the winter, that is a concern. Nothing like the security of Awd…NOTHING.

^

“Upgraded ? Does that mean they change the software ?”

No, it is actually a different system.

4 cylinder manual transmission models use a viscous coupling locking center differential.

4 cylinder CVT models use an electronically-managed continuously variable transfer clutch.

Six cylinder/5-speed automatic trans models use the Variable Torque Distribution system, which utilizes a planetary center differential in conjunction with an electronically-managed continuously variable transfer clutch. Currently, this is the only one that has a rear bias.

The earlier 4 cylinder manual I had was with the viscous coupling center diff. It was calibrated to 60% rear before slippage. Because the motor has a center line crank, it was easy to make basic design rwd for thier sports car. Haven’t followed them of late technologically as I 'm into stuff with higher clearance. The overhangs are the only draw backs. But, when we move back into town, it will be our first choice.

If the 1 series really grabs your attention, get a 2009 or newer and the best maintained one possible (frequent oil changes and other services up to date) Subaru and Mazda make some entertaining cars also. VW GTI maybe?

I’d rather get a new GTI than a used 128i. Almost as much fun, new, full warranty, and LOTS of headroom.

The 1-series has a decent reputation for reliability, as do many of the simpler German cars. It’s when they get loaded up with new technology that the reliability plummets. Unfortunately, being a BMW, it will require frequent, costly maintenance and repairs will be expensive. Still, it’s a good, simple car and very much a classic BMW. I wish the styling worked for me, but I still respect it.

Probably the closest Japanese model to a BMW is the Lexus IS350. It was very much intended to be a BMW 3-series competitor and mostly hit the mark. I’ve never been wild about the styling, but it’s not monstrous, just a bit clumsy in the details. The Infiniti G35/37 is a very pretty car and well respected, if more Japanese in feel than the Lexus. The coupe is sportier, closely related to the Nissan Z cars. It’s also gorgeous and not very practical, with a cramped rear seat and small trunk. But what a beauty! Acura doesn’t really have anything BMW-like. The TSX is a perfectly nice car, but it’s really just a European/Japanese market Accord (smaller than ours) that has been heavily optioned. I love the new Mazdas and the last two generations of Mazda3 have been great cars, too, but they don’t feel very German to me. Just good little cars. The new ones with the Skyactiv engines are also wonderfully efficient. The Hyundai Genesis sedan (not the more pedestrian Coupe) is very German in looks, especially the interior, which looks like a decade-old Mercedes. These are bigger cars, closer to a 5-series, and they definitely lean more towards luxury than sport. A lot of car for the money, if you can get over it being a Hyundai.

Good evening Car Talk forums. I appreciate your input. I found a 2011 former lease BMW 128 i with the sport package and high-end sound. It had 23K on it. I got a screaming deal on it at $18.500. What it came down to was the fact that 95 percent of the time, I’m the only person in the car and it is so stinking fun to drive. Speedy, tight, and black on black (stupid, given I live in Texas.) Finally, just for me personally, I love the way it looks and many of the comparable cars are hatchbacks which don’t appeal to me. That, and with the price I got, even the Hondas and Mazdas weren’t much cheaper. Thanks again for your knowledge and I’ll be seeking out the 128 forum…

Talk with the mechanic who repairs your car and ask them what they would charge (parts and labor) for similar repairs. If you can, rent one to see how they drive over different roads.

Accurate reliability is hard to gauge. You may be driving well enough not to worry about it too much, with 14 years.

Glad you found one you like. The 1-series was much praised for being a little harder-edged than most contemporary BMW models, which test well without being as much fun to drive. I also just got the CR auto issue and they rate the 1 as average or better than. Likewise the lower-powered versions of the 3 and 5 series. I’m not sure it’s differences in powertrain or just that the high-end variants are loaded with potentially buggy electronic gizmos. Ford’s reputation is taking a beating due to Sync, enough so they’re terminating their relationship with Microsoft. Curiously, MS also makes Hyundai and Kia’s infotainment system, and it seems just fine.

I was still driving my 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS when the BMW 1 series 2 door coupe debued in 2007. I thought this was a good idea of trimming the fat off current BMWs and returning to something like the 2002 Bavaria (2002 being the model not the year of production) Which was awesome in it’s day . I happened to end up behind a brand new 1 series on my favorite twisty 2 lane with elevation changes. 45mph speed zone and I had no problems maintaining 45mph (40mph in a couple of turns) with my Mitsubishi not squeaking a tire. I was interested in observing the new BMW. I was very disappointed when the Beemer slowed to 10 and even 5 mph for each curve! When we finally reached the stop sign at the highway I was able to identify the driver as a teenage female. Obviously Mommy and Daddy had ensured their “Princess” drove a more expensive car than her peers. To the tune of $40,000. Wait! Princess has no clue how to drive. Probably an automatic. What a waste!

Is this the car? Pretty cool looking. Glad you found a good deal on a car you like.

@sgtrock21‌

“something like the 2002 Bavaria . . .”

Those are 2 different cars

I once had a 2002, and I know the Bavaria was a much bigger 4-door sedan

@db4690 You are 100% correct. One of my friends owned a 1970 or 71 2002 coupe 2.8L. I referenced the Bavaria because the concept was to offer a less expensive BMW for the U.S. market. Some luxury interior trim and other bits were deleted. I was thinking the 1 series could be the same general concept but I have heard they are nearly the same price as a 3 series.

@sgtrock21‌

The 2002 did not have a straight 6 . . .

If your friend had a 1970 BMW coupe with a 2.8 liter straight 6, it wasn’t a 2002

The 2002 was the “less expensive” BMW . . . small 2 door, and not very nicely equipped

The Bavaria was more of a traditional, rather large 4 door european “luxury” sedan

The 1 series has become the 2 series with a starting price only a few hundred dollars below a 320i sedan (with no options)

@db4690 Thanks for the info. I should know better than trying to remember things from the 1970s. I do remember a friends BMW that had 2002 on the back. It must have been a different friend with a different car. Was that vintage 2002 the 2.0L I-4?

Yep, all 2002 had the 2.0L I-4. The 1600 had a 1.6L.

@sgtrock21‌

I’m no BMW expert, either. A long time ago I had a 2002. That’s why I knew it was small and only had a 4 cylinder

And I vaguely remember the Bavaria as being a rather large . . . for its time . . . sedan

The Bavaria preceded the 530.