Buying a new sport sedan

I’m buying a new car this month. I want a luxury compact sedan with good handling and is quiet on the road. The ones I’ve driven so far are the BMW 330i and the Audi A4 S-Line 45. Both have automatic transmission and I want that as well. I plant to drive a BMW 330e hybrid tomorrow. Most of my driving is local and the 20 mile battery only range would work for me. It looks like the 330e has a tax credit as long as I buy it this month. I wonder what constructive suggestions you guys might have. As long as I’m talking money, the Audi has a $2500 rebate. The next size down (2-series, A3/S3) has too much road noise and the back seats are a bit cramped. I’m not interested in spending more, like for BMW M series or 5 series, or an Audi A5/S4 or higher. Other brands are lacking in one way or another. I will listen to alternate suggestions if you give me a good reason to. TIA.

1 Like

Always my biggest criteria when buying a vehicle is reliability. Audi’s don’t seem to be that reliable. BMW seems to be pretty good. Have you looked at the Alpha Romeo’s. Not sure about reliability. But they are really sweet.

I have said this before . If you are not the only person in your household then the other person’s opinion is the only one that counts .

1 Like

Alfa Romeo reliability is awful and that’s why I’m not looking at it. Most testers say the driving experience for the AR is divine. CR says Audi reliability is acceptable and BMW reliability is excellent. Seating in both the Audi and BMW are good. I could spend hours in them if needed. While I didn’t mention it, reliability is important but not #1 on my list.

Mrs JT has an Odyssey. When we looked at vans in 2019, I was high on the Chrysler Pacifica PHEV and the non hybrid model. We bought the Odyssey because she like it best. Her car, her choice, as you suggest. She’s welcome to drive the car if she wants to but no matter what I choose it will likely scare her because of the power.

I own a '14 Audi A4 quattro with an 8 speed automatic. It gets 21 to 24 in town and 34 hwy. We bought it used and have had no issues except the headliner needed replacing… 9 years as a Florida car, not so strange… but the rest of the interior is excellent. 42K miles.

Agree the A3 is too small and the S Line is the right option package. Quattro avoids the CVT.

Audi has their issues for sure but far exceed Alfa Romeo and somewhat exceed BMW in reliability. If you only keep them for the warranty period, no issues, after, they can, as we say all the time, get pricy to service.

1 Like

A4 vs 3er is really up to your preference. Either is a good choice, knowing long term maintenance won’t be Camry-cheap.

Parts are more expensive but the cost of labor at my preferred shop is the same. I am also aware that premium fuel is more expensive than regular. Yesterday I filled up at Costco and regular was $3.40 and premium was $4.00. I fill up every 3 to 4 weeks now that I’m retired. My annual mileage is at most half of what it used to be when I commuted.

I don’t drive many miles a year now but I still won’t buy anything that requires premium fuel .

Not required, but recommended. I’m not put off by it at this point.

1 Like

I almost bought a BMW once and I think it was a 330 I was interested in. But the sales staff blew me off so I came to my senses and left to buy a Camry that same day :grinning:

I still like the BMW styling, or at least I did. I went to look at both of your selections. You know how sometimes people have a bad angle for picture taking? And this is from the BMW site to boot. Not very flattering nose from this angle:

The old kidney grille sure beats the new beaver grille IMO. The local Cadillac salesman blew me off when I went in to check out the CTS and CT6 in 2017. I laughed and left.

In the grand scheme, the extra $5 or so per fill for premium up does’t amount to much in the cost of ownership.

I am not put off by it. We’ve been driving premium required or recommended cars since 1985. The Audi is the first E85 flex fuel vehicle. I tried a tank of E85 just for giggles… the 100 octane of E85 could be felt in the seat of the pants dyno. Hard to get in my area, though.

Buying a sport sedan such as an Audi or BMW for its handling and quiet ride makes sense to me. Buying such a vehicle for the prestige of ownership does not. If s person enjoys driving a good handling car, can afford the car, the added cost of premium fuel should not be the determining factor.
If I were into driving as I am into playing French horn, I would probably look at sport sedans. I recently splurged on an Alexander horn because I liked the way it played. It is more reliable in the solo passages, particularly in the high register than my previous horn, even though the previous instrument got the job done. Comparing the Alexander with my previous horn is like comparing a Toyota Sienna with a BMW. Both vehicles get the job done, but I am certain the BMW is more fun to drive. The Toyota Sienna has the road handling qualities of a mule. However, I need the utility of a van.
Years ago, I really enjoyed driving the MG Midget. However, my budget and family considerations did not allow for the cost and upkeep of the MG. Today, at my age, I can’t comfortably get in and out of a Mazda Miata, today’s equivalent of the MGs of yesterday. When I am no longer transporting musicians and their instruments to gigs, I may just buy a sport sedan.

+1
My new car’s manual “recommends” Premium-grade gas, rather than requiring it, but–so far, at least–I have opted for Premium. In the total scheme of things, I only had to buy 13.7 gallons in the first 1750 miles, so the cost differential is not really significant… at least to me. In the future, I might experiment with Regular gas, but–for now–I’ll stay with Premium.

2 Likes

I remember the 1960s when there was a grade of gasoline below regular. At Sunoco stations where a motorist could select the blend, the blends ranged from 190 to 260. 200 was regular, and 190 was an octane level below regular. It was a penny less per gallon than 200. I ran my 1965 Rambler on Sunoco 190. I think Gulf stations had a separate pump for Gulftane, which was cheaper than regular and a lower octane.

I’m retiring next year (I hope), and plan on buying a Vette. Since I don’t plan on driving it a lot (summer only) - buying premium gas is no big deal. Might cost me $50 more a year.

1 Like

I’m taking an earlier suggestion of yours to heart and not taking my money with me to the grave.

BTW, I think about you when I hear the Nature theme song at the end of the program. The French horns are magnificent and I stick with the program through the credits so that I can hear it.

Speaking of taking it with you- did you hear about the grumpy old man that passed away, leaving his fortune split equally among his three greedy nephews? To teach them a lesson, it was stipulated in his will that they were to throw the money into his casket before he was buried.

After the funeral, the three nephews are at the bar when one of them tells the others “guys, I have to honest with you. I only threw 2/3 of the money into the casket and kept 1/3 for myself”.

The second one then admits, “well as long as we’re confessing, I only threw 1/2 the money into the casket and kept 1/2 for myself”.

The third nephew pipes up, “I’m ashamed of the both of you, I threw in a check for the full amount!”

7 Likes

How about a new Toyota Camry in “SE” trim? It has the word “sport” right there in the name. How can you go wrong with that?