Blinker and headlight problem 2002 Saturn lw200 wagon

So whenever I turn my left signal on my headlights will turn on, typically my high beams since I have auto daylights. This happens usually 90% of the time. Then I started noticing that my headlights will not turn off sometimes. I have to play with it a few times by turning the automatic light function on/off as well as the hi/lo beams. Sometimes if I get it to shut off it will flicker back on until I do it a few more times. Any idea what is wrong?

I would guess the multi function switch. It controls both the headlights and the turn signals.

Combination Switch?
How Many Miles On This Saturn?
CSA

This is another vote for the multi-function switch. BTW…this is not a DIY project as the airbag system is involved when you start working in the area to remove the switch.

“This is another vote for the multi-function switch. BTW…this is not a DIY project as the airbag system is involved when you start working in the area to remove the switch.”

That’s what I thought…

This may or may not be the case. My GM Chevrolet Factory Service Manual, specific to our 01 Impala, said to disconnect the battery, remove the air-bag, steering wheel…

This was not necessary. I removed one at salvage yard and installed it at home, without removing the air-bag or steering wheel! The secret was a 1/4" ratchet and correct torx bit that could approach the attaching screws that are behind the steering wheel, on a 90 degree angle. Coming at them straight-on would have required removing all that stuff. It didn’t take all that long to do it.

It’s been a couple of years now, but the lights are still working great on the old Impala!

CSA

CSA…I always state this disclaimer whenever I mention the multi-function switch because I don’t know the specific mechanical expertise of people who may want to do this replacement as a DIY. Good tip BTW for those that know what they are doing. I’ve seen individuals trying to do this job without disconnecting the battery…believe it or not.

+1 to missileman’s posts, including his warning. Someone with good mechanical aptitude and the foresight to check out the installation ahead of time may be able to do a job like this safely, but should someone with not quite enough aptitude try this one they could get seriously injured.

One approach is to get a good repair manual… again, assuming some aptitude. Much as I could not paint a masterpiece even with the best of guidance, there are those who could not perform even the most basic mechanical procedures even with a good manual. Everyone has innate aptitudes, and everyone has innate weaknesses.

Even Though I Disconnect The Battery When Working Near The Air-Bag, I still Feel Like I Should Don At Least A Bike Helmet!

Working near the radiator support requires some care, too, as that’s where an air-bag sensor hangs out.

Police in my local town would provide free “lock-out” service to people (like my wife, for instance, a regular customer) who locked their keys inside their vehicles. They used Slim-Jims inserted into the driver’s door and fished for lock rods, etcetra.

They got out of that routine when many cars began being manufactured with side air-bags!

CSA