BLADE Tailpipe filter

So, this question doesn’t have to do with any particular car, but a car accessory. There is a fairly new product out there called the BLADE tailpipe filter, and it’s website (www.bladeyourride.com) claims that it will reduce your car’s emissions AND give you better gas mileage. This sounds too good to be true, and I’m pretty skeptical so I thought I’d ask here if anyone has tried it, or knows anything about it.

How much do you get paid for posting this spam?

Sounds word for word just like a post about converting a car to run on water. Or fuel line magnets. Or some miracle gas additive. Or…

This one doesn’t read like spam to me, so I’ll answer.

It’s a scam. Everything that could improve your gas mileage and reduce emissions has already happened before the exhaust reaches your tailpipe.

This one doesn’t sound as kooky as the water4gas BS, but I’m pretty skeptical too, especially with a $200 price tag and $20 per filter refill. Here’s the “how it works” bit from the website, in case anyone wants to point out any obvious problems (I’m not a mechanic or engineer):

1. Improves the Efficiency of the Catalytic Converter

The time between the moment when an engine is turned on and the moment when its catalytic converter reaches operating temperature (?light off?) is called ?Cold Start?. The Blade is proven to reduce ?cold start? durations by 90-seconds or more (see Figure 1):

The catalytic converter can only oxidize emissions once it reaches operating temperature (an internal temperature of approximately 400o C). Late-model automobiles employ different strategies to accelerate the converter?s heating process. A common strategy is to add additional fuel in order to create a richer (hotter) air/fuel ratio during cold start.

The Blade mitigates heat transference (loss) via the tailpipe, which allows the catalytic converter to heat more quickly. This reduces the amount of un-treated emissions that escape from the tailpipe before light off, and it reduces the duration when the ECU runs richer air/fuel mixtures in its attempt to heat the converter to its operation temperature. This results in lower emissions and better fuel economy.

2. Increases the Volumetric Efficiency (VE) of the engine:

Volumetric efficiency is the actual amount of air an engine ingests compared to the theoretical maximum. Increasing VE has the effect of increasing the efficiency of combustion. More efficient combustion results in: the reduction CO, HC, NOx, CH4 and other pollutive emissions, and more efficient fuel usage.

It is important to note that the ?gas pedal? actually controls the amount of air the engine ingests through the throttle body, not the amount of fuel! The amount of air entering through the throttle body is measured by a Throttle Position (TP) Sensor, which are expressed in ?degrees-from-zero?, volts (V), and/or percentages. For ease of understanding, degrees-from-zero were utilized. The higher the degrees, the more depressed the gas pedal is and the more air enters the engine.

Testing of the fuel delivery system was conducted by an ASE LI Certified Emissions Technician utilizing a diagnostic scanner to monitor and record multiple Engine Control Unit (ECU) data streams. To ensure the consistency during testing, the vehicle was measured both with and without the Blade, on a dynamometer utilizing an IM240 Driving Trace. A capacitor discharge was conducted between tests to ensure that the ECU was cleared of any residual memory. The test captured the following datastreams:

Front and Rear O2 Sensors (mV)
Engine Speed (RPM)*
Vehicle Speed (MPH)
Throttle Position (degrees)
Mass Airflow Sensor (g/s)*
Ambient air Temperature(oF)*
Barometric pressure (inHG)*

*Denote variables used to calculate actual VE

Volumetric Efficiency calculated increases as much as 32% with the Blade.

An additional key indicator that there is a net improvement in VE with the Blade is the fact that the throttle position (TP) angle is 10% higher than it is without the Blade at the same engine speed. The TP increase signifies a decrease in ?pumping loss?, which means that there is less effort required for the piston to pull air into the combustion chamber. The reduced pumping loss is attributed to the Blade?s effect of reducing space between the exhaust pulses. Normally, a degree of ?backsliding?, exhaust being pulled back into the combustion chamber during ?induction? occurs. The Blade affects reduced space between exhaust pulses which positively affects exhaust scavenging. Exhaust Scavenging is the drawing out of spent exhaust from the combustion chamber. This increases positive exhaust scavenging. Positive exhaust scavenging allows for more charge (air/fuel mixture) to enter the combustion chamber. More charge by definition increases volumetric efficiency and reduces pumping loss. There is a direct correlation between reduced pumping loss and increased engine efficiency.

3. The Blade is also a filter:

In addition to the effects that the Blade has on the normal operations of the Oxygen sensor, the CPU, and the catalytic converter, the Blade also filters [physically captures] gasoline and hydrocarbon particulates, as well as other solid inorganic emissions. This is highly beneficial because solid particulate emissions are extremely harmful to human health.

On the plus side for this company, they do have an actual address and contact info, too. And this disclaimer about performance in the FAQ:

Q: Will the BLADE have any negative effects on my vehicle?

A: The Blade has been endurance tested on vehicles in the United States, Europe and Latin America, with no adverse effects on test vehicles after 40,000 miles.

Torque tests have been performed on vehicles using the Blade. As expected, these tests showed a loss of high-end horsepower of approximately 4%, however, vehicles using the Blade also showed increases in low-end torque.
The loss in horsepower is negligible, and can not be felt unless a driver is maxing out the vehicles rpm?s. The Blade is not a performance product; it is a product to reduce emissions and increase fuel economy. If top-end horsepower is a concern, we recommend that you not buy a Blade.

Anyway, I don’t like any of these gadgets and won’t try this one but it seems less fantasy/scam and (to me) more just wishful thinking. I doubt the improvements in MPG are anywhere close the estimates. Environmental improvements, same. That sooty filter has to go somewhere eventually.

Since it restricts exhaust flow, I don’t see how it can increase fuel economy. The rest also sounds like a bunch pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo.

Yeah I wondered about that too…and they don’t explain their “supporting evidence” mumbo jumbo very well, either. Probably because it’s just mumbo jumbo.

I understand, Jad, that these claims are not yours, only being passed along for scrutiny.

1. Modern engines also use air from around the manifold to heat the incoming air and assist in engine warmup. The operating temp of the cat’s platinum palladium is 400F rather than 400C. I’m really skeptical that putting a restriction in the tailpipe backs up the exhausted heat sufficiently to affect the reaching of the engine’s operating temp by 90 seconds. Remember too that the exhaust pipe itself is a fairly large surface dissipating heat.

2. this paragraph has little tidbits of fact scattered in amongst a whole lot of balogna. The throttle position controls the amount of air only in that it presents a restriction to the amount that can be drawn in by the receding piston son the intake strokes…however it ALSO is a key variable that’s used to control the amount of gas going onto the cylinders. The ratio is controlled by the ECU varying the “pulse width” of the injectors (how long they’re open vs. closed), and the Throttle Position Sensor output is one of those variables. Other variables that join the throttle position as inputs to the ECU’s program are the engine temp, engine speed, manifold absolute pressure, amount of airflow in the intake snorkle, and the amount of oxygen in the exhaust stream as measure by the upstream oxygen sensor.

Um, if the throttle position has to be 10% higher (more open) with the Blade to maintain the engine speed, how do you suppose that saves gas again? Does this sound slightly contradictory? It should.

As to the whole “exhaust scavanging” issue…it’s bull. Exhaust moving out does not get drawn back into the cylinder, rather it (being pulled still by other cyliders moving gasses through the axhaust manifold) before fully closing helps draw the front of the fuel laden gasses in, but the overlap is miniscule.

1. yeah, I can believe it’s a particulate filter. However capturing particulates does nothing for the environment.

Last paragraph: I have no doubt that performance was decreased at the top end. Restricting the engine’s ability to breath out by restricting the exhaust will do that. I can do that with a banana. I seriously doubt that it enhances low end performance.

I agree with you that it’s just more wishful thinking…by the purchasers. It’s a scam by the seller.

That $200 you’re charging for your product would fill my car up about 6 or 7 times, not including shipping fees. I’ll keep my money thank you.

NYBo is exactly on target.

Anything that restricts exhaust flow will make an engine less efficient. Less efficiency=less power output/fewer mpg.

This is so counterintuitive that it has to be another of the growing group of products designed to scam money from the naive, the gullible, those who do not understand how engines operate, the…
Do I need to go on?

Anybody notice the op made his sales pitch but has never responded back?
It’s a pitch

Overall, I agree with your assessment. However, there are a couple of points I don’t agree entirely with;

As to the whole “exhaust scavanging” issue…it’s bull. Exhaust moving out does not get drawn back into the cylinder, rather it (being pulled still by other cyliders moving gasses through the axhaust manifold) before fully closing helps draw the front of the fuel laden gasses in, but the overlap is miniscule.

After many years tweaking racing motors, I have to disagree with the premise that exhaust drawback is bull. Actually, you might be surprised at how much overlap even a “production” engine has designed into it. Granted, they have gotten better over the years, especially with many motors using roller cam followers, but there will always be overlap with a purely mechanical system. When the piston moves down on the intake stroke, the exhaust valve is still open and some of the exhaust gas is pulled back in. This dilution is inherent but the magnitude of it is not only dependant on valve overlap. As an example, the design of the intake system is critical to optimizing VE and minimizing exhaust drawback. VE is really a misnomer anyway, it’s more correctly termed Mass Efficiency. Regardless, the way to “fix” this is not by restricting the exhaust outlet. You want to optimize the system to promote pulse charging the intake, maximizing cylinder gas exchange and balancing exhaust scavenging such that it helps fill the cylinder without stealing too much of the raw fuel mix. Funny thing though, some dilution is necessary to keep combustion temps down (EGR:NOx) during certain operating conditions for street cars.

However capturing particulates does nothing for the environment

The primary pollutant in our neck of the woods (NE coast) is often particulate matter. How can you say a reduction in particulates does nothing for the environment? Soot reduction is good thing. I’m just not convinced that this is the best way to achieve that. I think this thing will get plugged up so fast that their business model is weighted towards selling consumable filters…

I bow to your explanation on the drawback. My understanding was that the overlap (in intake and exhaust valve open cycles) allows the exhaust, being pulled down the pipe by the other cylinders being exhausted, assists the fuel in beginning to enter the cylinder. My understanding is that the gasses in the cylinder having been compressed are still during the evactuation cycle and at the time of the overlap at a higher pressure than the exhaust port. But I accept your explanation and consider it an expansion of my own knowledge. I can’t “hold a candle” to years of tweaking race motors. Consider me now a better educated man.

Carbon particulates aren’t recognized as a danger to the environment…however I agree that they’re dirty. I’m unaware of any particulate from an exhaust stream that a HEPA filter would capture that would otherwise be considered an environment concern. I’m open to opinions on this.

You may ne right about the business model.

Ok, Guys I am a girl however I have automotive experience also. I actually tried it. I wanted to see it in use. I have a 2005 chevy cavalier with 100k+ miles on it. So I thought what the hell. Guess what happened. Prior to the installation of the Blade at a midas location I received 22 miles per gallon for my driving habits. After the installation, I drove to foley alabama and received 42 miles to the gallon. When I got back home and drove the car not on hwy I received on average 35 miles to the gallon. I know that the wording on the website has been less than accurate in some places. I actually have use of a dyno-meter and found the same results. You guys, can say all you want but I am saving my self on average a 1/4 tank of gas a fill up. You can fight and disprove all you want but I tried it and damn if it didn’t fuhqing work. Hope you have the guts to try something before you blindly bash a product you obviously have no personal experience with.

Prior to the installation of the Blade at a midas location I received 22 miles per gallon for my driving habits. After the installation, I drove to foley alabama and received 42 miles to the gallon. When I got back home and drove the car not on hwy I received on average 35 miles to the gallon.

BULL…either you’re lying through your teeth or you have the math skills of a 2nd grader.

Or a company shill

Presumeably, you skeptics also still believe the world is FLAT since you haven’t seen the curvature with YOUR OWN EYES. Has anyone here except the girl actually had any experience with the product? I am about to have one installed on my Chevy PU because I have a friend who already has one that has gotten very similar results with it to the girl poster above. I’m NOT a mechanic. I don’t claim to understand HOW it works… but after my friend’s experience with it, I’m prepared to admit that it’s hard to argue with proven success.

You go girl!!! You know a good deal when you see one. By the way, I have bridge in Brooklyn for sale and you sound like the kind of REASONABLE person who would be interested. If you want more information on the bridge for sale just send me a check for $1500 and I will send you an application to purchase the bridge. It’s a real steal. Just ask all the people who bought it before you.

FYI… I am a Mensa Baby with 3 degrees, but I would expect that from an uneducated man… I am the one that is roughly paying 3 dollars per gallon of gas with this device on my car while you continue to pay over 4 dollars per gallon…

Go slap one of these on your vehicle, and then come back and tell me its a scam… I was actually the biggest skeptic @ first, but then I said what the heck and it actually started working immediately, i couldnt believe it…