**beware, possible computer virus**

I run Linux. Microsoft fans try to say we don’t get viruses or trojans or spyware only because not many people use Linux, which is totally false. To do much damage, those things must infect your systems files. Linux has permission systems which means a user can’t even write to systems files.

At least 800 viruses/etc have been written for Linux, and I think the last time one was able to replicate was some years ago.

Some folks say Windows can be set up with similar permissions, but I don’t know anyone personally who has done so. It does sound interesting.

Linux isn’t for everyone, just as not everyone wants to be an auto mechanic. But, I started on microprocessors in 1974, and it is a good hobby during retirement.

In some countries, there is a lot of Linux. My nephew works for the government in Mexico City, and a couple years ago, the leaders of his department told the employees anyone who didn’t think they could learn Linux should start seeking other employment. A combination of budget problems, Internet security and political issues made the change necessary.

There is some evidence the people who have the greatest problem with Linux, assuming someone installs it for them as is usually the case with Windows, are those who are the best experts on Windows.

On some Linux forum, some dude will come on who says he has 20 years of experience as IT on Windows, and Linux sucks, he cant make it work. Someone whose grandma uses it with nary a complaint will heckle him. But, it’s true. If you expect everything to be in the usual place you are going to have problems.