Best traction settings for acceleration in a 2020 VW GLI with Manual Trans

Traction control systems work by two main means. 1. the brakes are applied to the spinning wheel(s)… This is done several times a second, and generally doesn’t make noise. 2. The spark/fuel is cut by the ECU, this is more noticeable, and can be perceived as the engine misfiring or hesitating. This could make some noise, particularly on a turbocharged car, but it wouldn’t be described as a “banging” sound, more of a muffled popping sound. It would be possible for the car to shake during these events if you kept your foot on the gas when the traction control system was working, as the system cycles on and off rapidly as the car finds and loses traction repeatedly.

Unless you’re trying to leaving in cloud of tire smoke, it’s best to leave them on. I have a 500 HP Mustang and a 375 HP pickup, I don’t have to disable the traction control or stability control in order to quickly accelerate during normal driving.

Not a lecture . Just common sense for people who are sharing the public roads with you . Also the statement ’ banging sound ’ could be the warning of something that might fail so use your warranty to see if there is a problem.
Call , this a lecture if you want - just leave that button alone and drive your vehicle slow or fast , easy or hard . There will so little difference in the acceleration you will not notice it.

I think what you are hearing is a combination of the ABS unit commanding the brake to apply to stop the spinning wheel and the torque being transferred across the differential causing every little bit of clearance in 4 CV joints, and a differential slapping a bit as it happens. May also be the engine dropping a cylinder or 2 to reduce power in that mix as well.

It is a hint for you to ease up a bit before something breaks.

I think that hint might be too late:

:thinking:

1 Like

Irony takes the wrinkles out of any discussion…

1 Like

You have one or two good answers about what ASR and ESC actually do, but nothing can improve the friction that you have between your tires and the road. These systems are intended to keep you within that friction by preventing tire spin. Loud bangs are never good. If you expect these systems to keep you alive on a slick road with bad tires you are praying to the wrong god.

2 Likes