2010 Toyota Corolla

The newest Toyota Corolla LE has a traction/stability on-off switch. Why would you want to turn this feature off and what happens to the car mechanically when you do?

Great to hear
On previous post, I have made the point that there are definite reasons for having more control over this feature. Obviously, some others feel the same way.
My 4 runner and RAV 4 manuals both recommend switching off tract control when in deep mud and snow. The spinning action of the treads helps keep them clear which the trac. control works against. Also, excessive use of traction control, which can happen going up a very slippery hill can easily shorten the life of you pads and over heat them for immediate use. Taking it easy with tract control off is a worth while feature. When you turn it off, it still has abs, but behaves “normally” w/o trac/stab.
I wish my RAV had the switch…I wouldn’t of had to replace the rear brakes ($500) in less than 35 k miles.

You generally don’t want traction control engaged when you are trying to extricate yourself from a snow bank or trodding through mud. It some situations wheelspin is your friend. Most traction controls use ABS sensors to detect wheelspin, when they detect it, fuel or spark gets cut from the engine and/or the brakes are automatically applied in an effort to stop the wheelspin. When you disable the traction control you cut the car’s ability to cut fuel/spark and/or apply the brakes automatically.

I have found it more annoying than anything. Using my hand-held tuner I’ve changed the default for the traction control on my Mustang to “off”.