Best site for Used cars/trucks (ideally private sale/by owner)

I know Craigslist has always been a go-to for me, but lately it seems filled with dealerships spamming posts and within the post every keyword imaginable in it. (I saw one yesterday that the keyword list was hundreds of random words, including murder, murdered, death, etc. )

I figure with the advances in the internet since I last purchased a car (~2009), there might be better or new sites that I haven’t thought of.

Ideally, I’d like to do a private sale or smaller shops.

I bought nearly all my used cars from Newspaper ads or the Auto Trader.

Most of that info is on line now, of course.

In our area KIJIJI is a popular site for buying or selling things. I sold bikes, lawnmowers, garden equipment and other items successfully.

1 Like

Last used car I bought, did the random car for sale along the road, knowing kind of what I was looking for, Trailblazer, saw one worked out a great deal. 11 years ago, guy bought it off lease, needed something with better mileage, he bought a new car, and got it for a couple of hundred over minimum trade in value. I think he thought he would make a few grand but happy to be done with it I think

Buying a car on Craigslist is fine, though watch out for the scams. If you buy on Craigslist, the seller needs to have the title, in the seller’s name, and you both need to go to the DMV to get it transferred in person before you give them money to make sure they didn’t counterfeit the title.

Selling a car on Craigslist as my recent experience confirmed, is another story. I had an almost 100% scam rate on responses to my ad.

Another vote for AutoTrader.com.