Being careful

You are right, a M1 would not be ideal.

I think a gun shooting a EMP bullet would be better.

That would give the offender time to see the error of his/her ways. :slight_smile:

And it would give other drivers a temp time of safety.

I know many accidents are caused by cell phone users.

I have seriously considered buying a cell phone jammer.

Jamming cell phones (and any other radio transmission) is a federal crime. Iā€™d recommend against it. :wink:

2 Likes

I live about 30 miles from Boston. During rush hour traffic it can take me 2+ hours to drive into Boston. Luckily thereā€™s a commuter rail stop less then 10 minutes from my house. Less then an hour by rail.

She eventually got through it. Sheā€™s kicking back in Maine, now, at a B&B or Inn or some darn thing, overlooking the Sheepscot [?] River.
CSA

An engineer in the Tampa area go so ticked at other drivers using their cell phones in traffic, he built a jammer. The Feds caught him because he commuted the very same route every day. He was facing a $20,000 fine. You might wanna re-think that!

3 Likes

I was not serious. :slight_smile:

I pull fuel in DFW every day, 18-wheel fuel tanker. Something that almost every transportation company teaches is Tne Smith System. Iā€™ve had to go through it so many times, I could probably be an instructor. Anyways, because of habits of drivers, sometimes I will edge closer to the zipper (dotted white line) to gain some attention, cause some distrust, etc to vehicles riding beside me, after turn signal on for awhile. Itā€™s generally a bad idea to ride beside one of us, our tires are inflated to 120psi cold, and we build heat pretty fast in them. If they blow, youā€™re looking at a 65lb gator (tire tread carcass) flying out, and itā€™ll do some damage.

Because I can see into every car going by, the biggest problem I see is out of 100 drivers, maybe, and I men MAYBE, 5 arenā€™t looking at the phone. I know we all do it, but for extended time? Back to big rigs, sometimes we swerve on purpose, trying to get someone to pay attention. Another issue is the load. My tanker is baffled, and has compartments, but will still take me across the road on bumps, heaves etc. Until you ride in one, itā€™s hard to explain, but unless itā€™s one with a party hood (long nose one, older style, see kenworth w-900 or peterbilt 379 w/ extended hood) they make a smooth road feel like a washboard. Long noses are easier to work on, though, side note. Thereā€™s a lot to drivers doing stupid moves. But there are ways to avoid most problems on the road, and most of that is patience, a donā€™t care attitude, space, and more patience. Anymore, I kick back, maintain a steady speed with space in front, and it gets there when it gets thereā€¦

On a side note, when driving an 18 wheeler, the way the mirrors are set up, we can inches from an object, and it looks like 3 feet. I think this is what causes a lot of close calls, because inexperienced drivers donā€™t realize that, and think thereā€™s more room than there is. The other reason is with usually 6 mirrors on it, drivers think, or mistakenly believe they can see more than they actually can. Itā€™s a complacency thing, and although easily done, itā€™s usually when a big rig driver ends up filling out paperwork.

For those ā€œBahstinā€ drivers, you guys impress me. When I lived in the NE, Boston impressed me with the speed, close proximity, hostility, and wild maneuvers that didnā€™t result in 25,000 car pileups. Iā€™ve since moved to TXā€¦warmer

Another possible reason for it is different driving styles in different areas of the country. CA residents donā€™t use turn signals, NJ signals, then cut across at least 3 lanes, NY City guys signal AFTER they maneuver, the south goes 90mph minimum EVERYWHERE, and somewhere in between are the old school defensive drivers and new ones, who everybody is impatient with. Then thereā€™s the ā€œMe 1stā€ mentality that plagues the roads, which generally leads to these discussionsā€¦ no answers, just more stories, I guessā€¦

I was a commercial driver from May 1979 to November 1989. I started with Purolator Courier then Emery, then Consolidated Freight. I didnā€™t change companies they changed on me. I respect the Smith system training and had the initial 16 hours followed by the 2 hour annual refresher/update training. I only drove a tractor single trailer about 12 times. I started with a Pinto station wagon and Ford E-150 van. My Oregon CDL was a written test which qualified me to drive tractor double trailers! We could spend a day telling stories of idiot ā€œdriversā€. I learned that when you think you have seen it all the idiot ā€œdriversā€ will invent something new.

1 Like

Care to explain in a little more detail what the hey the Smith System is for some of us morons?

Sounds like a scary wake up call for inattentive drivers.

It hinges on 5 keys, initials are ā€œAGKLMā€

1. Aim High In Steering - Look as far ahead as you can, and by default, youā€™re eyes will notice things below it, doesnā€™t work other way around.

2. Get The Big Picture - Look around you, see everything thatā€™s going on, imminent and dangers that will cause you to take evasive action, and react accordingly.

3. Keep Your Eyes Moving - looking at anything for more than 2 seconds creates a stare, and tunnel vision

4. Leave Yourself An Out - Usually 2-4 ways to evade dangers are optimal

5. Make Sure They See You - headlights, turn signals proper time length to know your intention, making eye contact with other drivers, etc

We seem to have developed a rash of aggressive driving behavior out here in the San Jose area for some reason. Very common in the last 2-3 years to have someone whoā€™s driving behind you ā€“ this happens on 35 mph stop and go urban driving roads with stoplights every 1000 yards ā€“ they rapidly pull out from behind and into an adjacent lane, pass, and pull in front, then they slam on the brakes b/c the next red light has been on the whole time. Last month a major case of this happened, where the driver behind me illegally passed to the right while I was doing a left hand turn (with a green left arrow), pulled in front, then noticed the next light was red, he didnā€™t want to stop b/c he was going so fast, looked around for cops, then just drove through the red light. Then he comes to the next intersection, again a red light, heā€™s in the middle lane, but turns right anyway, nearly running down a pedestrian who wasnā€™t expecting a car to turn right from the middle lane. What are my strategies? About the only thing a driver can do is always expect the worse from your fellow drivers, and from my experience more frequently than youā€™d like, youā€™ll be correct.

I remember watching a jittering16mm movie (ā€œvideoā€ for you youngsters) film when I was fifteen years-old and in High School Driver Training in the mid-1960s. It was the Smithā€™s System of Driving.

It was good. I still utilize what I learned. Iā€™m happy to see it survives. :wink:
CSA

Yeah I do that all the time but never called it the Smith System. There was a recent study by Psychology Today I think on the entitlement nature of the current generation. I think it was a pretty small sample so donā€™t know how accurate it was but at least focused on some traits that might shed some light on it. Entitled to make a right turn regardless. Entitled to the road regardless of others. Entitled to lots of stuff but not having to pay for it, and so on. ā€œItā€™s my road so get out of the way.ā€ Of course then letā€™s back up to the psychology of the generation that raised them. Then again I donā€™t leave my generation off the hook either for the way we tore things apart.

1 Like

16mm film is before my time. I heat 16mm, I think nuts & bolts, lol. Anyway, yeah, Smith System is actually gaining popularity amongst everyone. Almost every single trucking company uses it now. With the addition of more electronics now, and little sensors that actually apply engine brake and service brakes without operator interaction, I think weā€™re approaching a point that technology is causing more interference and danger than help at this point. Vehicle manufacturers have taken the approach of making vehicles do things themselves, and taken control from the operator. While in some ways, itā€™s good, other ways, itā€™s bad. Laws governing the road are reaching a point that the better drivers are walking away from the industry, where itā€™s already shorthanded and underpaid. Itā€™s going to a new generation of drivers who have the ā€œitā€™s their fault,ā€ mentality, causing more aggressiveness and less skill operating the truck. Personally, Iā€™m taking steps to leave the industry and step back into mechanics. Although, I may have to self employ to be able to make it worth it.

The Smith system is defensive driving training for commercial drivers. It is required by many businesses that employ commercial drivers.

My kids acted that way. Then they grew up.

I am one of the jerks that hangs out in the left lane keeping up with the flow of traffic to prevent the me my mine from passing all the people that have already merged right just so they can merge in at the last minute and get ahead of 50 cars. Now I know things could be done differently but when some people see left lane ends 1500 feet they pull into the right lane, and some maybe 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 10 I am better than you guy decides to take advantage of the situation, That is why I am a jerk and proud of it.

I googled it. Thatā€™s what I had in driver training!
Itā€™s been around since 1952 when Harold Smith established the Smith System Driver Improvement Institute.
CSA

I never had a film for driverā€™s training until the Army but I had the Clyde method of behind the wheel training. He was a fighter pilot that lived so we listened to him.