Avoiding 2021 Model Year Cars?

Not at all I used the 70’s gas prices as an example gas shortages and higher prices for a while but as you know things eventually worked out prices dropped but not to what they were before as you said.

[quote=“db4690, post:20, topic:178197”]
I truly think I can sit this craziness out for awhile
I don’t know if the prices will ever be what they are now or a little higher or not we will just have to wait an see.

1 Like

There are parts availability issues going on all the time. Every year. That’s where the “back ordered” comes from. Granted, the current issue is more widespread.

My son emailed the other day about a car for sale where he lives. A 2020 used Escalade for 110k dollars. Gag; and Escalades are still aardvark ugly IMO no matter what.

1 Like

I avoid anything manufactured after 2005, when unacceptable features became standard or required. Hope that helps.

Agree about the Escalades being ugly I only thought the Pontiac Atzek was ugly but it seems it was only the tip of the iceberg of being ugly as some cars only seem to get more ugly as the years pass.

Yep, I have no idea what the supply is around here. On the 4th a friend got rear ended by a truck and trailer and demod the car she was driving. Less than a week later though she had a new Buick SUV from the local supply so there must be at least some supply. She only paid about $5000 difference so they couldn’t have jacked the price up too much.

Gm appears to be catching up a little bit, at least from the looks of the local Chevy/GMC dealer but not nearly what they’d normally have.

I experienced that. Was looking for an off lease car, no luck. Ended up buying a new 2020.
I get pop up advertisements for used cars. One was for an ex-law enforcement Crown Vic, 10 years old, >150K miles, price was $8999.00.

From Wednesday’s Detroit News:

GM canceled production of light-duty Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups at its Fort Wayne Assembly plant in Indiana and at its assembly plant in Silao, Mexico, during the week of July 26. The Flint Assembly plant where heavy-duty Silverado and Sierra trucks are built will go down to one shift that same week. Full production is expected to resume the week of Aug. 2.

The COVID pandemic has really stirred up the creativity of our local and international rumor-mongers. I bet with a few days effort someone could set off a minor panic about virtually anything. So here we are, spewing out our opinions about an idea that someone’s friends, who clearly don’t know anything but have opinions to share, cooked up.

Car companies rely on 1000’s of suppliers. They will cope, because they have to. That’s how our system works. Meanwhile, do your homework, pay attention, and tell the neighbors to call back when they know what they are talking about.

3 Likes

Well, they haven’t so far, and it seems to be getting worse, not better, as existing chip supplies are used up. I don’t see a quick end to this any time soon.

1 Like

How this get flagged “Solution - This is the accepted solution…”?

It is an ongoing discussion with many diverse opinions. This type of discussion does not have a solution.

1 Like

It was my attempt at sarcasm/irony since the person who wrote that message chose to indict the conversation itself rather than try to be helpful in any way.

Have you not heard of the rubber shortage now, or the foam rubber shortage. It is a plain and simple fact that supply markets have been disrupted for a variety of reasons and there have been spot shortages on a lot of items. It’s going to take a while before everyone can tool up again, staff up again, and secure their means of production. So expect spot shortages of many items.

Take good care of your stuff for a while. This is not the first time. Back during the war you couldn’t buy tires unless the local military official allowed it and needed ration stamps for other items. I found both among my Dad’s stuff.

and on that note here’s some interesting reading…
Ford Rubber Plantations in Brazil - The Henry Ford

Without reading it, yeah I think he and Harvey Firestone. The thing is, Ford tried to control all of his parts and supply items. Something that has been lost on a lot of businesses today. So yeah he was concerned about rubber supply. In St. Paul he also located his plant to provide his own power supply, and sand to make his own glass.

When everything is outsourced you are at the mercy of those sources which may or may not prove to be reliable over the long haul.

2 Likes

Another obsession by a madman.

2 Likes

I think Henry’s original concept for the Rouge River Plant was to have raw materials come in, complete cars come out.

1 Like

Toured the St Paul plant in 1962, on a grade school field trip. My 2001 Ranger was built there.

1 Like

I think you are correct. I think we should remember historical figures for the accomplishments they have made and not their personal or political short comings or surely there will be no one to remember or admire. His political beliefs, aid to the enemy, and treatment of his son was truly deplorable. Edsel’s war contribution probably bought Henry out of Hell and a further consolation after Edsel died was that Henry had questioned his treatment of Edsel, and his reasoning for doing so. Not a person alive that does not have some regrets. Still he accomplished much.

4 Likes

Only if said personal/political shortcomings are taught along with said accomplishments.

6 Likes