Automatic remote trunk access does not work

Chrysler Sebring JXI Convertible (1997)

All of a sudden I cannot open my truck with the remote key access gadget – although the gadget still opens my car doors. I don’t think it is a fuse because everything else is working fine. And I don’t think I need a new battery because I can still open the car doors.

Can anyone suggest why this might be and what I should check? Thanks very much.

childfreedom@hotmail.com

There may be a loose or corroded electrical connection at the release switch or perhaps a disconnected linkage. When you use the remote to open the trunk do you hear a clicking noise at the lock?

If not, there may be a broken wire between the remotes’ receiver and the trunk release.

Are you able to open the trunk with the key?

A simple failure in the contact in the remote could cause this problem. It is a seperate button I take it. Do you have more than one remote? do both fail? Try to include this info makes diag. easier

Yes. I can open the trunk with the key. I have used both my regular and master automatic remote door opener and neither work. The batteries seem to be fine in both when it comes to opening/locking the car doors.

When I try to open the trunk via the trunk release button inside the console box, I hear that clicking sound you mention - but do not hear it when I try to open trunk with remote trunk opener.

Thank you so much for your reply. This is my first cartalk post - and yours is the first reply to my question which I posted yesterday. I am impressed - and appreciative! I wanted to have some direction to give the mechanic to try to fix the problem as inexpensively as possible when I take my car in for an oil change tomorrow. I will print your reply and give it to him.

I think perhaps your suggestion is correct based on what I have read about other cars with this same problem. Any other suggestions?

Freedom
childfreedom@hotmail.com

Yes. I can open the trunk with the key. I have used both my regular and master automatic remote door opener and neither work. The batteries seem to be fine in both when it comes to opening/locking the car doors.

When I try to open the trunk via the trunk release button inside the console box, I hear that clicking sound you mention - but do not hear it when I try to open trunk with remote trunk opener.

Thank you so much for your reply. This is my first cartalk post - and yours is the first reply to my question which I posted yesterday. I am impressed - and appreciative! I wanted to have some direction to give the mechanic to try to fix the problem as inexpensively as possible when I take my car in for an oil change tomorrow. I will print your reply and give it to him.

I think perhaps your suggestion is correct based on what I have read about other cars with this same problem. Any other suggestions?

Freedom
childfreedom@hotmail.com

I suspect a bad ground connection or possibly a loose connection to a latch solenoid (IF so equipped). You said the trunk opens with the key so that eliminates broken linkage.

Let us know the cure.

hold the button down for 3 seconds or more.

results???