Auto start-stop

1). A lot of complaints.
2). If you think the EPA requires this, why does my 2020 domestic car not have it?

1 Like

+1
While the EPA doesn’t require it, manufacturers who can’t otherwise comply with more stringent fuel economy standards have adopted this practice in order to boost their vehicles’ mpg ratings.

3 Likes

Yes this is certainly true. Can’t remember the book, author, or Indians name but it will come to me in my sleep. It’s called extra credit if you are getting a d in class.

I mentioned the BMW rental with auto start/stop above. I was driving back to Graz from a Sunday trip to the Alps and got caught in a traffic jam. It was all downhill and I just pushed the clutch in and held it there, forcing the engine to remain off. I coasted with the engine off whenever I released the brake. This lasted for at least 15 minutes. I went with the flow and had no complaints.

I think the start-stop function would be a lot less annoying if there were a delay of 10 seconds or so before shut down.
That would keep it from happening at stop signs, parallel parking etc.
Of course, that would reduce its advantage on the EPA fuel consumption tests.

Here ya go . $99 Autostop Eliminator for 2019-2023 GMC Sierra 1500

Also Chevy-Buick-Cadillac-GMC Products - Smart Stop Start

2 Likes

It sounds like you dont live in a suburb with traffic lights at most intersections.

I doubt if anyone will agree with me but I just don’t think posting a link to an Stop/Start defeat system is the right thing to do . Even the web site for one of those suggests removing it from the new vehicle when going for dealer service.

3 Likes

I suspect the removal suggestion is to avoid voiding the new car warranty.

2 Likes

2021 RAV 4
Can disable the daytime running lights and stop start feature.
DRL is on the turn signal stalk. They do it at the dealership all the time because it would be crazy to be inside a garage with a bunch of lights on all over the place.
Stop/start - use the “sport” feature I driving modes.

I do agree that posting this defeat mechanism is not in the best interests of the members. I absolutely believe the removal recommendation is to eliminate the possibility of voiding the warranty. Worse case, your car breaks down and it gets towed to the dealer and the dealer finds it…

It’s in the interest of all readers to answer questions and discuss defeat mechanisms. And the discussions need to be open and honest about all the pros and cons.

2 Likes

There are plenty of defeat devices that don’t deserve discussion, particularly those related to emissions or safety.

1 Like

I disagree with the people who think that the links to buy a “defeat device” for this silly feature should be censored off this site. Enough people dislike the auto stop/start feature that this is a legitimate concern.

Yesterday, I drove my friend’s Forester for the first time in a few weeks. While I forgot to push the button for Auto Stop-Start Shutoff when I put it into gear, I did remember to do it as I approached the first stop sign. Then, it simply became a reflex reaction for me every time that I restarted it. I still don’t see what the big deal is, regarding having to remember to push one button.

2 Likes

This isn’t necessarily a rational decision. We all have irrational perceptions; we are people after all.

Autostopeliminator.com (I don’t know anything about it)

I still don’t see why you don’t get the other viewpoint. The button pushing is secondary. The primary issue is people may not like the feature. Not all implementations are as good as others. Maybe they just don’t like it because everyone knows, the more you use something, the quicker it wears out. So for whatever reason, they do not want that feature. So why would they subject themselves to having to push a button every single time they operate that piece of machinery if they didn’t have to? Especially if there are easy work-arounds to eliminate it. The opposite seems equally ludicrous to me but I also understand some people would feel uncomfortable modifying their equipment and so put up with a minor inconvenience.

Wondering what you meant, but think I finally figured it out. The idea is to automate pressing the button that turns off the auto-start feature, so it happens every time you start the engine. Seems better definitely than having to remember to do it. But might be difficult to gain access to the switch terminals, and there may not even be a separate physical switch for that. Could be done by the car’s computer via software and touch screen detector.

There is no “button” people. Turning off auto stop/start is accomplished by turning it off within the infotainment screen. It will revert to the default of on the next time the engine is started. So no “jumping” or relays.