Auto start-stop

Just depends how many buttons you have to press I guess. Almost like a pilot check list before taking off. Then you have to agree to follow all laws and soon it will include be sure to clean your plate. Think of those poor kids as mom used to say.

Lots of things in life that are annoying are not particularly difficult :wink:

1 Like

Do you have to press at a certain point during the drive, like before enginei s started? Or can you press the “leave me alone” button anytime during the drive? If the latter, that doesn’t seem much of a burden. If the former, that could be quite frustrating, b/c easy to forget you have to press the button before starting the engine. Then you’d have to pull over, turn off the engine, press the button, a major pain.

I’ve rented enough different cars now with auto stop to know that some of them absolutely don’t bother me at all.

And other vehicles I want to disable the start/stop function immediately.

Generally, I found General Motors implementation to be pretty seamless.

Fortunately, you can disable it, but you’ll have to do that every time you start the car as it defaults back to on.

You can get the engine to restart itself by just easing up on the brake pedal a bit.

I had a 2017 mini Cooper that had the feature. The service technician told me that the starter motors on BMWs/MINIs are of industrial grade good for over 1 million starts.

Turning any device on and off and on and off… seems to always be a bad idea, and I’m not buying that the fuel saved compensates for the negatives. If i ever buy a car with this feature, it will definitely be overridden one way or another.

2 Likes

The engine is not just shut off. The timing of when the engine shuts off is done in such a way so that the crankshaft stops at the optimal position for easy restarting. At least that’s what BMW claims with theirs.

If that starter motor is experiencing early wear and tear the auto start/stop feature will disable itself as a precaution until it’s cleared by a service technician.

On every vehicle with which I am familiar, it’s the latter. On the rare occasions when I forget to do it with my friend’s Forester before I pull out of a parking lot, I do manage to remember to do it as I am preparing to make my first stop at a traffic light or stop sign. I just don’t see what the big deal is.

What’s next? Will people whose cars don’t automatically disengage the e-brake when they put the car into Drive start raging about the annoyance of having to manually disengage the e-brake?

5 Likes

Bad comparison. That is a convenience. To use your example, will people start raging because they do not have auto start-stop on their car? Doubtful.

There is yet another way: you can drive smarter so you don’t have to completely stop so often.

Good luck with that in Wash DC rush morning/evening, or any other metropolitan area.

2 Likes

He’s in Texas

Good luck with that !

1 Like

Mansfield is a suburb of the Dallas-Fort Worth area so congestion is a given.

Yep, your right, no traffic or big cities in Texas, please disregard my previous statement. :joy: :rofl: :joy:

4 Likes

What happens if you disconnect the wire going from the brake pedal switch to the computer? Keep the brake lights connected. It might mess up the cruise control cancel. Maybe put a switch on that wire. Then the computer won’t know that the brakes are on and it won’t shut off the engine.

Same concept as using the parking brake to hold the vehicle at a red light, but I don’t know if doing that would deactivate the engine shut off feature or not.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

So now they’re supposed to screw around with the brake system to avoid pushing a button? Another BAD idea.

3 Likes

The anguish about auto start-stop reminds me of a kerfuffle from a few decades back: when ABS and ESC came on the scene.

There’s a bunch of people on the Toyota forum who just NEED to disable their daytime running light function… :man_facepalming:t2:

I had a Jeep rental when I first encountered this. No button to shut it off that I could find. But we got stuck in stop and go traffic for some miles and it was.a real pain in the neck. Go a few feet and the engine stops. Rinse and repeat. As we discussed some years ago, this was one of those extra credit ideas from the epa. Someone came up with it and got extra credit for it. No need to prove anything, just sound great. The whole thing is nuts but sheep just follow with no complaints.

1 Like