Auto Insurance

Auto insurance have lots of hidden benefits like payment for travel expenses up to a specified amount when a car is damaged or stolen.

A lot of this depends on what State you are in. Many States use a point system-- you may already be getting a discount. You might also be able to get some sort of affiliation discount based on your school, AAA, etc.

I Believe That Different Insurers Treat Customers Differently When It Comes To Rates. Some Offer Better Rates To Good Drivers, Some Do For Bad Drivers, Older Drivers, Younger Drivers, Etcetera.

Although I have a major insurer with a brick and mortar local office and get good rates, I do check on them once in a while.

I go to another local insurance agency. This agency sells insurance for a myriad of companies. They can take my "Good driver, Bad driver, Old driver, Young driver, Teenager driver at home, etcetera and throw it up into their computer. Quotes are generated from half a dozen different insurers, considering all the variables including consideration of multi-car, home owners insurance, credit ratings, miles driven annually, the whole bit, and I can see if I’m over-paying or getting a fair shake.

Some companies offer better car rates, but higher home-owners, umbrella, boats, etcetera. Some offer higher car rates, but better rates on other insurance. Keeping it all packaged together with one company triggers many discounts. Also, longevity with most companies results in savings, too, so you don’t win by jumping around.

Find such an agency (agencies) locally that represent many insurance brands and let them do the work for you.

CSA

Thanks very much!

Thanks very much!

So usually how should I ask for this information? Like, I just ask them like “what would the policy cover for my travel?”

Hi, thanks!

OK so I guess you are quite an expert in this field. But how could I search this type of agency, like key words? I usually just use those brand names because they are what I have heard of.

You know, my case is quite simple actually. I don’t own a house and have three credit cards. That is all for a student. And I never got a ticket or whatever. I mean I should earn some rewards.

I will try this time!

yes, they mentioned some discounts on the bill. But I think I deserve more. I am not greedy to be honest.

By the way, like what I post below, I nevet got a ticket, but don’t own a house. My 7-year driving history is like cristal clear. If I pay around $30/month for just the car, is it too much? I mean I don’t have much sense about the rate. If anybody thinks this actually is a fair rate, I would feel much better though. But my intuition (may be not accurate) is that I should pay less. Really. So that is why I post this question here. I mean it would still take me a while to get a good deal if it is somewhere. But I will try.

And thanks very much for your feedback!

I’m No Expert And I’m Not Much On Cyber Space Searches. I Still Use The Old Phone Books. Somebody Else Will Have To Advise You.

The insurance agencies have names other than insurance company names. They are often named after people the way law firms are named. We have several locally like that. Chilly Xiao Agency or Chilly Xiao Insurance Agency would be examples.

On second thought, try searching Insurance Brokers. Take a look at how this link defines Insurance Broker.

CSA

I will see what I can accomplish this time. Thank you very much!

May depend on where you live also. Some states…Insurance rates are regulated…which means you’ll get charged the same price from one insurance company to the next for the same coverage.

But for the States that aren’t regulated…most insurance companies offer discounts for no accidents or tickets. Amount of miles you drive is also factored into it.

Now you said you’ve been driving for 10 years and you insurance has gone up…Have you been driving the same vehicle since then??? Some cars are just more expensive to insure then others. Also newer cars are usually a lot more to insure then a car that’s 7-10 years old.

Geico offers good driver insurance and insures your car based on the miles driven and when they are driven. If you don’t use your car for commuting, make sure they know it.

Check your premium paperwork to see if they gave you a good driver discount. It’s in the letter codes on the policy. I suspect that you already get one. You also get credit for driving so few miles becasues they ask for an odometer reading every year. No offense, but my guess is that you already have a low cost policy but you are not happy with it.

Another option is to review the coverages you have to see if you can lower the price by increasing the deductible. Call Geico and ask them how you might change you coverage to save money and what the adjusted cost would be.

$30/month for auto insurance is extremely low. Twice that is still low.

Try to bear in mind that it is not just the cost of your insurance that you should be considering.

When Consumer Reports asked subscribers to rate their experiences with their car insurance company (based on “claims-related problems”, “timely payment”, and “non-claims-related problems”), the results were…interesting.

The very heavily advertised Progressive Ins. Co was one of the lowest rated, as were Allstate, Nationwide, Liberty Mutual, and Geico.

The top-rated was my insurer, NJ Manufacturers, but you have to live in NJ or PA, and have to work for a qualifying company in order to be insured by them. If you don’t fit those criteria, the other highly-rated companies included USAA, Amica and State Farm.

Paying less for insurance is great, but if that insurance turns out to be…not so good when you actually need it to pay a claim, I don’t think that you found a true bargain.

All these posts because you think $30 per month is a high insurance rate???

Unbelievable.

AARP insurance reduced my deductible by $150 because of my clean long term driving record. Now they reduce it further by $50 every year that I maintain that record. Buy auto insurance from them!

[b][i]$30 / Month ? Fair Deal ? Who Knows ?

What Are You Getting For 30 Bucks ?[/i][/b]

I suppose I could change my insurance coverage to a similar rate, but how much coverage protection are you buying ? How much liability ? How much collision ? How much comprehensive ? What are the deductible amounts ? Does this include underinsured and uninsured motorist protection ?

One has to be careful to compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. Also, having inadequate protection is no bargain.

My insurance agent will not sell a policy that affords inadequate coverage. She tells shoppers of cheap insurance to go someplace else.

Also, the more assets one has to protect (and the more exposures one has) then more coverage is probably in order. For some an additional umbrella policy is a sound choice.

Penny wise and pound foolish can describe lots of folks who shop insurance on price alone.

CSA

It’s NOT just the coverage…but also how well they deliver on claims. I’ve heard NIGHTMARE stories with people trying to collect with Geico. And I know of at least one bodyshop that won’t deal with Geico. Says they’re too much of a hassle to deal with.