Are transmission hoses checked during a transmission flush as a matter of course?

hello, everyone…
I had a transmission flush done at a Toyota service center yesterday, and that was all that was done. Today, I went to get an oil change, and was told both hoses were leaking. Not only were they leaking quickly, but they were both completely compromised (holes in them). I was not told at the dealership that my hoses were corrupted. The oil change guys told me that the rate of leak meant I was in some immediate trouble.

So, my question is…should the dealership have checked the hoses? How could they possibly not have noticed the leaks? They refuse to refund my money, claiming it wasn’t their problem whatsoever.

I forgot to mention that I was originally going to get an oil change done at the dealership, along with the transmission flush. I decided it was too expensive, and decided to go elsewhere. Toyota refuses to refund my money because they claim because I didn’t get the oil change, the 17 point (or whatever number)
inspection wasn’t conducted, so they couldn’t possibly have seen the holes in my transmission hoses.

thanks!

Did you notice any fluid leaks (spots on the ground) prior to the transmission service?

Also, year, model, and miles?

no…lotsa leaves around, as well as a covered outdoor parking space on blacktop.

I feel really cheated, and am angered that I could have been harmed. I would just like to know if it was something Toyota should’ve caught? if not, I understand.

thank you

scion, 06 tc

138,000 miles

The Scions are highly rated by their owners and very reliable. But it’s, what, 8 years old, right? I expect the hoses were on the way out just b/c they are 8 years old, and the flexing involved with the flushing operation did them in. But it’s entirely possible the techs that did the flush didn’t notice any leaking, or it starting leaking after you drove the car away so they couldn’t have noticed it.

It’s like if you leave your garden hose out in the sun for a couple years, no leaks, but when you coil it, it starts leaking, or a connector comes loose. Just normal deterioration of the materials over time and use.

I think this is a problem where you just buck up and pay to have the hoses replaced. Don’t defer this, as you want the problem to remain the hoses, not the automatic transmission.

In the future I’d advise to not do transmission flushes. On most cars a proper transmission service involves dropping the pan, cleaning out the debris, and replacing the filter and fluid. No hoses involved.

Something sounds fishy. Eight year old Toyotas aren’t known for leaky trans lines (that I’m aware of). But, to your original question, if the lines were truly that leaky, Toyota should have seen the leakage when running the car after the flush. They should have been happy to point out more work that they could do for you…fishy.

Edit: Did the “oil change guys” offer to repair it?

thank you, guys…it’s inexplicable to me Toyota’s position…that because I refused the oil change, the problem with the hoses wasn’t noticed…I just don’t understand the logic. I fail to believe that they didn’t leak during service if they were that compromised???

I really appreciate the assistance. i’m pretty upset over this.

The transmission flush is made by connecting to the transmission cooling lines at the radiator on most cars. I would suspect that the ‘technician’ who did the flush was not very professional in his work. As a rule I replace the 10" +/- lengths of hose at the radiator whenever I disconnect them but it is rare that they actually need replacement. And if a shop disconnects any fitting and the customer complains of a leak at that connection soon (withing a month) afterwards they should be eager to get that car back to the shop to inspect the problem and correct it FOR FREE if there is any possibility that their work caused the problem. And not replacing a questionable hose would be their fault.

I really miss Transman. I wouldn’t have replied to this thread if he were posting regularly. But then he might not have been quite so “to the point” as I was.

But we have several currently up to date Master mechanics here @kittykatatt. And I feel certain they will concur even if they do so somewhat more diplomatically.

thank you, rod. I am quite grateful for YOUR time and advice.
::slight_smile:

I can’t say one way or the other what is going on here as there are too many unknowns.
Should the hoses be inspected while doing a transmission service of any sort? Yes.

What I don’t get is if the hoses have “holes” in them then why are there no signs? The area on the car around the hoses should be wet with fluid, the drive should have spots on it, and if the fluid level has dropped enough some shifting symptoms should show up.

How certain are you that the hoses are even compromised at all?

Are the leaks (if present) from the hoses themselves or at the fitting where they were disconnected during the transmission service?

I saw them leaking…they showed me (found during the oil change). Fluid was drip dripping out of them. I saw a hole on each.
I have the hoses now. They are obviously worn (after years of use), but the holes are real. The oil change guys did a great job of freaking me out. $200 to replace them, after $185 transmission flush.
I understand now that I have been well-intentioned with regard to maintenance and prevention, but should’ve been better informed. perhaps that transmission flush was unnecessary, as suggested above.
Despite everything, a very real problem awaited me (transmission failure). I am fortunate that it was found before real disaster hit. I just want to discern fault…ultimately, though, it comes back to me.

If there were a leak at the transmission lines during the fluid exchange it would have been noticed as soon as the vehicle was moved out of position.

The fluid exchange machine is connected to the cooler line for the transmission at the radiator.

The engine is then started and pump within the transmission is what actually pumps the old fluid out and adds the new fluid in.

So, if the lines were leaking there would have been fluid on the floor when the vehicle was moved.

Tester

Kittykat,

First I am sorry for the way you were treated by the Toyota store you went to but I may be of some help. As was stated above if a transmission flush was done the lines that were found to be leaking had to be removed to perform the flush. You should have been made aware of the leak at the time of your service. I have a strong belief that the lines were damaged by the “butcher” that performed your flush. I have worked for Toyota for many years and failures on the hoses simply do not occur. Second it is Toyota’s corporate policy that all vehicles that come in for service receive a multipoint inspection, just because you elected not to have an oil change done is no excuse not to perform the MPI. But all is not lost if I was you I would contact Toyota customer satisfaction at 800-331-4331 m-f 5am to 6pm pacific. Explain to them as you did in your original what happened, have your cars vin number when you call. You may be able to get some of your money back, or if they offer you service credit as that it be at a different store than you went to before.

Steve

Aren’t those lines all metal? Considering the age and mileage of the car and if you live in a rust belt state it’s possible they’re just rotted out because of that.

If the above is true it’s also possible that the lines weren’t leaking originally and the disconnection process is what started the ball rolling on a failure.
It’s possible the lines did not leak until after you left the dealership.

Some other fodder for thought.
If rust is an issue in your area it’s possible the techs see so much of it they become numb to it.
As to what you were told, you were likely conversing with a service writer. Very few of those guys have much in the line of mechanical abilities and often cover their ignorance by stating things that are very misguided at best. The oil change has zilch to do with a transmission service.

None of that is meant as a defense of the dealer but I might pose the following and I’m not saying this is applicable to you. If a customer was advised that the transmission lines needed to be replaced would the customer assume the dealer is simply trying to pad the bill and raise hxxx…

It happens all of the time and believe me, there’s been countless posts on this forum to that effect.

@ok4450‌ The lines that come off the trans are metal and have about a foot of rubber line between them and the transmission cooler.

Rot could still be a problem be it rusted steel or dry rotted rubber. The OP referred to holes in the plural so that leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

It’s difficult to see why a puddle wasn’t left on the floor at the Toyota dealer during the fluid exchange.
If a line was leaking when the car was brought in or started leaking during the exchange then why in the world would someone not try to upsell something like that; both in the name of profit generation and saving the life of the transmission?

Keep in mind that I’m still playing Devil’s Advocate… :slight_smile:

I am quite curious in the condition of those hoses @kittykatt. Could you please attach a photograph of them to a post along with the bill for replacing them. It might be best to block the shop’s name on the invoice.

If my memory serves me those hoses are just loose lengths of 8mm hose that are clamped on each end.

Something sounds fishy to me as well. +1 for Rod Knox.

I’ve never used a Trans Flush machine, but would the tech have hooked the machine into the the rubber hose, or the fitting that goes into the cooler. I’m wondering if he had to put a pliars on the hoses to twist them loose. and damaged them. But then it should have leaked right away, or he’d note the trail of oil dribbles out the door, and put it back on the rack to investigate.

So either the tech had weakened the hose and it didn’t start to leak until it was out of his shop, or the guy just has no clue as to what he’s doing.

Either way, I think the dealer should have made the effort to repair this for free. I’d have the Trans flush guy put it back up and replace the $15 worth of hose and new clamps with no charge to the customer.
A show of good faith to the customer and a learning moment for the tranny flush guy.

As far as the multi point inspection not being done except while in for an oil change. Bull Plop!!!

The Tech’s are instructed to watch for items of concern that they can get you to return for another appointment, or something that they can do right now. I’ll bet that 40% of the work done is found by a tech doing other work. It’s a service…it’s free and it makes the dealer money. Even an independent shop does this.
Would any of us go to do a brake job…notice a loose/bad wheel bearing or ball joint, and not let the owner know and offer to replace it as well. Or would we say to our selves “they’ll be getting that one towed back here within a month”.
There’s nothing wrong with that. Had the Oil change guy not noticed…it would have been a big bill for the OP when she fried her tranny.

Yosemite

I was in the transmission trade for over 30 years and it’s a rare occasion to find a hydraulic hose leak on a automatic transmission unless someones been doing some off road or hit something on the road. My personal vehicles have 170K and over 200K and both Toyota’s. It’s after the fact now but, in the future, remember if you where able to drive the vehicle someplace and didn’t leave a trail on anykind of liquid on the ground, it can’t be THAT bad. I personally stay away from dealerships and use independents on my vehicles. Just need to spend time and find a good quality mechanic.