Anyone want a free, mostly-functioning instrument cluster?

So, my fuel gauge wasn’t working (always showed Full when engine was on, and would always drop to 3/8 tank when engine was off). Mechanic replaced it with another used cluster, and now everything is fine.

They gave me back the old cluster, and I’m just going to toss it. But I figured I’d ask here if anyone wants it before I throw it away.

Everything besides the fuel gauge seems to be working properly.

2003 Dodge Caravan SE

You should save it, because if you ever need to buy a used instrument cluster from a “you pull it” junkyard, you can give back the defective one to avoid being charged a core charge, which is a separate fee on top of the price of the used part, which is refunded when you return another defective part of the same type. The part returned for the core charge does not have to be from the same model car as the part you buy.

1 Like

Good thought!

Keeping it for yourself makes sense, if only b/c it may provide a replacement part to repair a minor problem w/ your current cluster someday. If you have no room, I’ll bet you could sell it on one of the internet sites that sells used car parts, EBay etc, as well. Offering it gratis here was a kind offer.

1 Like

The chances of him needing the old one is very slim.

People forget, things take up space. It creates clutter and stress. If you REALLY don’t need it, organize it or get rid of it altogether. Of course, keep it if you think you’ll have a use for it.

When it comes to car stuff, you need alot of room.

1 Like

If you can still park in your garage, then there is still room for mare car parts. :smile:

1 Like

I agree with getting rid of it except for possibly harvesting any removeable bulbs and the little rubber bulb covers that make the light glow green if it uses those, too.

I ended up tossing it. Unfortunately, I’m unable to delete or edit this thread.

You might be able to lock it, maybe… :man_shrugging:

I don’t see how. I tried marking one of the replies as the solution,and I thought that might lock it, but it didn’t.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a way the OP can lock their own thread, but if you feel it would help the forum somehow, and you ask our esteemed moderator, I expect she would be happy to lock it for you.