Any yellow \YIELD/ signs still out there?

Seems that all of our yellow residential \YIELD/ signs have been replaced with STOP signs.
Another impedimento traffic flow causing more fuel use, exhaust pollution and brake wear.
(Of course, if a collision, responding vehicles negate all of the savings.)

Yes, between the two oil embargoes of the seventies there was a move to reduce stops signs and use yield where practical. But now stop signs are sprouting up everywhere.

Yellow Yield signs have not been the standard since 1971 when the standard was changed to a red border with a white triangle.

2 Likes

I see yield signs all the time, especially at the roundabout near home.

2 Likes

+1
I haven’t seen any decrease in yield signs or any increase in stop signs in my area.
Of course, there are some a-holes who can’t comprehend the concept of “yield”, but–all the same–there is no apparent change in signage in my neck of the woods.

3 Likes

Usually when a yield sign gets replaced by a stop sign it is because some idiot has caused an accident by ignoring the yield sign. The same reason the dotted white lines that allow passing on 2 lane roads are replaced by solid double white lines because of accidents. There are heavily traveled 2 lane roads within 50 miles of buffalo that have lost ALL their passing zones for 10-14 mile stretches putting all the traffic at the mercy of someone who thinks 30 or 40 are fast enough on a 2 lane even though the speed limit is 55 and most of the traffic wants to go 60-65.

4 Likes

But officer I yield as loud as I could, I guess the driver did not hear me. Still plenty of yellow ones near me.

5 Likes

I see lots of stop signs being treated as yield signs.

7 Likes

I think the OK translation of “Yield” means “Nail it to the floor. You got plenty of room”.

Here in St. Louis there’s a saying, “STOP means Slide Toe Off Pedal.”

5 Likes

And yellow lights mean “race like h3// to beat the red
 aw never mind if it turns red.” :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

The rise of traffic circles has come with a recrudescence of yield signs in Albuquerque, the yellow kind. I haven’t seen the ones @Mustangman describes.

Apparently New Mexico has a large supply of the old signs to still be using them 49 years after the required change.

You really haven’t seen the red and white ones?

1 Like

I can’t remember the last time I saw a yield sign that was not red and white.
I remember the yellow stop signs from my childhood, they looked like 5" tall Washington monuments painted canary yellow with stop in incised white letters vertically on the side. They were made at a local concrete p;ant on the East end of town.

1 Like

I hadn’t really paid much attention to the yield signs other than to note there are places where yield would make more sense than stop.
So today I paid closer attention. All were red&white, but many incorporated in other signs, the yield inside of a black&white sign to yield for pedestrians. Another inside of an orange diamond.

I still them every once in a while. But usually in very rural areas where the town/county maintenance probably forgot about it.

In areas where yield signs have been replaced with stop signs it’s usually due to “traffic calming” , ie if no one can move there can’t be car crashes. BTW, China has almost no stop signs in the areas I’ve been and they seem better at merging than we do. Also better at horn honking and bulling their way into everywhere.

The drivers in China are also “better” at stopping in a traffic lane on a highway in order to buy some food from a roadside vendor. A friend of mine who has traveled extensively in China for many years has observed this on numerous occasions, and he concluded that those drivers have no clue regarding road safety.
:thinking:

2 Likes

When visiting my wife’s hometown in China, as a former (AAA) driver instructor in college, I observed and videoed Chinese drivers.
Drivers’ attitude appears to be ‘I am here first. You find your way around.’

Example: Woman taxi driver parks in the two-lane wide entrancexit of the train station.
Vehicles trying to get out also block vehicles trying to get in and vice-versa, creating traffic backups.
Inside the terminal I was unable to hear if others were honking at her.

Another common move: Lefturning vehicles turn left blocking thru-vehicles.
Drivers behind the blocked through-vehicles pass the blocked vehicles on theiright, thus blocking the lefturning vehicles who are blocking the thru-vehicles.
They create a “gridlock” athe intersection with everyone blocking everyonelse.

Their LED traffic signals display green (<)(^)(>) while opposing traffic gets the same indication (<)(^)(>).

Many traffic signals have a permanent green (>) .
If there is a STOP sign, when turning right you do not stop. You continue yourighturn and merge in with traffic approaching from your left! Those drivers expect you to fit in.

In their limited access highways - equivalentour Interstate highways - farmers in their farm vehicles will be moving at 5 mph in the LEFT and other lanes
 (It appears they are jealous and wanto impede rich people driving 100 kph in theinice air-conditioned cars.)
(Frequently, no sooner had our bus attained the speed lim,it had to brake and slow to maneuver around farmers.)

Manyehicles in China have very worn brakes because of all the needlesstopping they causeach other to do.

Unfortunately, that isn’t unique to China.
In The US, “right turn on red following a full stop” almost always seems to be interpreted as “right turn at all times, without even slowing down”.