"...antenna broadcasting a signal so powerful it can stop nearby cars from starting."

"As for the electric blanket, why don't you bring in the light bulbs from your garage and use them to heat the bed?"
Flammable materials and the outdoor floodlights are too bright. The latest information is that we should sleep in TOTAL darkness - not even a nightlight or glowing alarm clock!

I keep my crimes covert: My Tesla Coil arc damage, even if discovered, would likely be mistaken as lightning-caused.

I didn’t threaten him either, just pointing out something to him. I wasn’t the only one in the neighborhood that had issues with his CB radio.

"I wasn't the only one in the neighborhood that had issues with his CB radio."
I'd have no reservations about reporting him to the FCC. You play fair, (legal wattage), or you're taken off the air. Fines can be quite large for intentional violations.

An easier way than lugging around a Tesla coil would be to simply use one of those megavolt stun guns that are available everywhere around the net. I’m sure a few arcs from one of these would damage most electronic gear…

"...use one of those megavolt stun guns..."
No money for such. But would be fun!
"Because you spent all your money on Tesla coils and "innovative" heating systems. I would not trust you with my blood."
Paying for 450-mile round trips out of my pocket doesn't leave much money. Fortunately, most of the components for the large Tesla Coil were surplus and some donated.

The outdoor floodlights are cheap and heat better than expected. I merely back the Expedition in and plug in the cord!
Bloodbank personnel have been very pleased for over 23 years. They exaggerate thathe emergency deliveries have saved lives.

The National Bureau Of Standards must indeed keep a very accurate clock in operation. Whether or not they must transmit that time signal on 3 or 4 HF frequencies each AM transmitter pumping out 100K watts, at two separate locations, well, I’m not so sure that’s necessary today…

@asecular-
“Tactical atomic clocks”? Seriously? You give me Hershey bar, Joe?

I’m sitting here at my tactical laptop in my joint coffeeshop drinking my ballistic decaf and you’ve given me a tactical chuckle.

Speaking of a chuckle-
Man, I love it when someone who doesn’t have a clue posts about a topic and makes a total @ss out of themselves in a public forum. You’re in that club now. Congratulations!

I happen to know quite a bit on the topic. You obviously know nothing. But a few seconds of googling might have saved you from revealing your total ignorance on the subject.

In the future, you might consider asking for clarification before your attempt to ridicule something you’re ignorant about. You might learn something. Then again you don’t strike me as the open minded type.

Ignorance coupled with arrogance is a potent combination…

"...3 or 4 HF frequencies each AM transmitter pumping out 100K watts, at two separate locations,..."
Would love to know the co$t of just the power required for those transmitters. Do they drop power output after local sunset?

Turbo², I’d rather read someone’s opinion before it is cleansed with possible dubious information from Google.

Years ago there may have been a need for lots of transmitters broadcasting an accurate time signal. I remember when I was a kid listening to short wave and hearing: “At the tone, the time will be xx:xx, coordinated universal time.”

These days with GPS, you have an extremely accurate clock available on every cheap smart phone. GPS needs to compensate for the relativistic shift in timing due to the satellites not being influenced as much by Earth’s gravity well as objects down here. It’s not much, but when you’re measuring differences between signals that are traveling at the speed of light, it adds up. The satellites have to have extremely accurate clocks to make this happen, and any GPS receiver can receive this time signal… at least if the software lets you.

Back in the 1960’s I remember: "At the tone, the time will be xx:xx, Eastern Standard Time."
Did they announce 12-hour or 24-hour time?

"So does "surplus" mean "stolen"? Blink once for yes."
Hey, it was "found". The outdoor floodlights heathengine and transmission surprisingly well, and much cheaper than any other means - other than the OEM block heater which this Expedition does not have. Not business. We're voldumbteers. Yes, great story on several levels. The Tesla Coil caper is another episode.
"If Mrs. Gift loved you, she'd bring you some money. A family is a business."
My money is her money and her money is her money.

She boss. Do some of the driving and blaresiren too much.
Stungun funds would be.tter spent for a used low-pitch single-tone air horn briefly blasted for semis “parked” in.terstate left lanes. At 65 mph they don’t hear the siren.

100K Watts day and night…As do all “Clear Channel” AM radio stations…The transmitting tubes (yes, tubes) are about 8 feet tall, used in pairs in a push-pull circuit. The glass enclosures rest on machined steel bases fitted with a vacuum pump to evacuate the tube. They can be rebuilt on site…They have always announced the time as Greenwich Mean Time, now Coordinated Universal Time. A male vice is used at Ft. Collins and a female voice is used from Hawaii…

Just as important as the time, HF Radio Operators the world over used the transmitted frequencies as a frequency standard to calibrate their own transmitters…The 5, 10, 15 and 20 Mhz signals are just as accurate as the time. Operators would “zero beat” their transmitters to WWV and calibrate their frequency against those standards…Today, transmitter frequencies are regulated by microprocessor controlled phase-locked loop circuits that are stable as a rock…

Aren’t clear channel stations 50kW?
Do I incorrectly recall WWV announcing Eastern Standard Time in the early 1960’s?
We made a recording of WWV at 2.5 Mhz on a cheap reel-to-reel tape recorder. Would be fun to hear the tape. A few years ago I heard WWV’s strange “buzzing” sound on a science fiction movie.

I heard a stereo AM station in Denver! The car radio [Stereo] light also illuminated!

"...How do the police pull over semis? (Remember you've already said you have lights). ... Today's lesson: If you drive fast enough you can't hear sirens. Good to know. Physicists take note.
Police and State Patrol have mentioned the same problems. Even worse because their 100-Watt siren speaker does not project as well from behind the grill. The Expedition'siren is 200 Watts through two more efficient exponential horn speakers.

At 65 mph, wind noise, road noise, engine noise in sound-proofed cabs, along with radio or stereo playing, makes hearing sirens very difficult - even more so with a long trailer behind.
A lower frequency horn would penetrate better. Lower frequencies also travel farther in air with less attenuation than higher frequencies.

“WINS broadcasting from the top of the Empire State Building in New York City coming at you with 100,000 audio-active Watts!” There were 10 or 15 clear channel stations and at night, they could be heard coast to coast…Most AM stations had (and still do) to reduce power at night to avoid interfering with other stations operating on the same frequency…But the clear channel stations owned their frequency and could use high power 24/7.

@Robert Gift-

Turbo², I’d rather read someone’s opinion before it is cleansed with possible dubious information from Google.

So, in your mind, google is altering various company web sites that manufacture atomic frequency standards (clocks) and also the content of government web sites (et. al.) that describe how our military uses accurate timebases to coordinate the battlefield?? Google is a search engine. They can and do tailor the search results based on certain criteria. However, it is not altering the content of the web sites you visit.

But to return to the point of why I posted that suggestion in the first place, is that if you do not believe in the existence of a technology, or an application of that technology, that someone references in a chat room or bulletin board, you could at least spend a few minutes looking around before being a wise @ss and as they say- removing all doubt. Even better, you could respond back in a civil tone asking for clarification- assuming you were too paranoid to believe anything you read on the internet…

Turbo², I’d rather read someone’s initial informal thoughts and opinions without their being scolded for not having first researched.

WINS is 50kW. I recall that only shortwave stations can transmit at higher power.

So the wind noise, road noise, and engine noise get into the sound-proofed cabs, but sirens don't? Gotcha. It's all so clear now. Except...
65 mph appears the usual speed of tractor trailer rigs on our interstate and state highways. Many Colorado Interstates miles are posted at 75 mph. 80 mph in Utah and 85 mph in Texas.

Though the truck cab may be well sound-insulated, wind vortices againsthe cab and tire and engine noise only yards away may wash out the siren.

Troopers have said they have followed truckers for 5 minutes before the driver pulled over.

There have been many times where I approach and follow for 30 seconds, left wheels on the yellow line so the light bar lights and flashing head light are more visible in the truck’s rearview mirror.
Then I give up, righturn signal and pass in lane two.
(Hospital just called)

2:36 AM
So a brief low frequency horn blast could be helpful.
I should post last week’s dashcam video showing Greeley Evans Transit bus #946 “parked” in lane 1 of US 85.
Started making noise pollution - went through Wail, Yelp, Hi-Lo for 41 seconds before the older driver signaled and pulled right. His window was open.