Another camber bolt question

Although I understand the concept of the camber bolt (offset head, just turn it to line things up right), I’m not clear on what other kind of work goes into installing the bolt:

So I’m looking at new front struts to replace my quickly-failed ebay units, and will probably just get QuickStruts. Will I have to ream out the slots in the struts just to fit the camber bolts that are on there right now, or will I be able to fit the camber kit on and let the alignment shop worry about those details? It’s a 91 LeSabre, if it matters.

Anybody? Surely somebody has a clue what I’m going on about? :slight_smile:

Are Quick Struts the ones that have a spring and everything loaded in to one assembly? If so, I would expect it to be ready to bolt up. The bolt just slips in (you have to manipulate the spindle a little to get everything lined up), you set the camber to about where it should be, then let the alignment shop worry about it.

I guess that answers your question, I’m a little bit confused by your wording.

Yup, those are quick struts.

And yup, it should be a direct bolt on. No reaming should be required or done. Just follow the included instructions. And let the alignment shop worry about the alignment.

Thanks guys, sounds like I’m good to go.

I was worried about the reaming because it’s my understanding that the last alignment shop did ream out the holes at the same time as they put on the camber kit.

Are you sure it is a ‘camber kit’ and not a ‘caster kit’? Usually the camber is adjusted at the steering knuckle where the strut is bolted (two bolts) to the cast steel knuckle which holds the wheel bearing. Usually there is no need to increase the range of adjustment here unless a part is bent.

However, caster on most McPherson strut suspensions is not adjustable unless the upper spring cap bolt holes are elongated fore/aft and a kit installed that positions the upper spring cap appropriately. If you have that kit already, you can proceed with the Quick Strut. Just mention it to the alignment shop when they set the alignment so they don’t miss the fact that the castor is adjustable – possibly only on one side.

It’s definitely a camber kit, at both steering knuckles. Has the offset bolt heads, plus extra brackets around the outside of the strut bracket. A photo is attached.

As an aside, I had to point out to the original alignment tech that both of my strut towers did indeed have slotted mounting holes for caster adjustment, and that he need not start hacking away at my beautiful (beat-up, ugly) Buick…